Small scale solar solution

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done Leigh, sometimes it isn't just about money! If you have not got much to start with a small system to provide 12V lighting and equipment charging is a great idea with the impending power cuts (if the reports are to be believed).

Well done Leigh, sometimes it isn't just about money! If you have not got much to start with a small system to provide 12V lighting and equipment charging is a great idea with the impending power cuts (if the reports are to be believed).
Cheers. I know I have an overall plan of learning all things solar, just wasnt expecting to be attacked for it on the UKs friendliest electrical forum.......:)

Cheers. I know I have an overall plan of learning all things solar, just wasnt expecting to be attacked for it on the UKs friendliest electrical forum.......:)

You have obviously never experienced the Screwfix forum, if it's still going.
TBH, I actively, historically used, maybe not so often now, Fishing forums and was a moderator for a mainstream publication. I have at least 40+ years fishing experience to pass over to the next generation of anglers but here on this electricians forum, its a bit fked up at times it seems. First impressions are, there are a few old sods who know better than you and want to make you feel inferior, for some reason. If they mellowed a little this could potentially be an award winning forum, due to the experience on tap and if allowed, the younger members could be heard too. Then treated in a fair way instead of ridiculed for their supposed, unimportant and stupid questions. I have monitored and assessed many members replies and there are far too many, so called noobs, who just simply want to leave, immediately as they are frustrated and undervalued. Just my observation as a former business inspector and sales marketing person. Screwfix I will explore soon as a seemingly essential endeavour......

You were not under attack, you were being given good advice and questioning your choice was made but the goal posts were moving. It was first of all a black friday deal driving your choice followed by it's going to be passed on to a relation and then it was educational for your son. All that was said right at the start was these small scale systems are pretty much pointless especially as you were going to go for a full sized grid tied system next year. How is that 'attacking' you? From my perspective I'd take that as good advice based on the criteria presented.

I don't consider myself an expert in the field of solar by the way, my only experience is that of a small 500w system on my caravan and my grid tied system installed April this year, I did however do a lot of research on the grid tied system before ordering it. Members on this forum have an absolutely incredible depth of knowledge and they are invaluable to me when I need to know more. You were quite abrasive towards several such members when asking advice so far from you being under attack it really was the opposite way around. One point you are correct on, there are a few old sods on here that know better than all of us, I for one am eternally grateful for their knowledge and experience that they take the time to share with us all.

I would suggest you perhaps take a step back, review your recent posts and reconsider your opinion of this forum which is a friendly, helpful forum.

Last edited:
TBH, I actively, historically used, maybe not so often now, Fishing forums and was a moderator for a mainstream publication. I have at least 40+ years fishing experience to pass over to the next generation of anglers but here on this electricians forum, its a bit fked up at times it seems. First impressions are, there are a few old sods who know better than you and want to make you feel inferior, for some reason. If they mellowed a little this could potentially be an award winning forum, due to the experience on tap and if allowed, the younger members could be heard too. Then treated in a fair way instead of ridiculed for their supposed, unimportant and stupid questions. I have monitored and assessed many members replies and there are far too many, so called noobs, who just simply want to leave, immediately as they are frustrated and undervalued. Just my observation as a former business inspector and sales marketing person. Screwfix I will explore soon as a seemingly essential endeavour......
There are indeed a few old sods who have forgotten more than you know about electrics. Our industry has been undermined by decades of 'dumbing down ' , and in particular 5 week wonder courses promoted by sales and marketing types as a short cut to earning a fortune.... 🤦‍♀️

Now general pulling in cables and fixing sockets to walls isn't that hard, but inspection and testing is one subject that does get the time served experienced sparks going. A huge number of posts on here are about incorrectly assessed EICRs, which apart from being wrong, usually come with a long list of expensive repairs. Incompetent testers are giving our industry a bad name, are potentially lethal to the public and really do pee off people on here. It's a bit unfortunate you picked to post on that subject. The members on here also don't like spoon feeding noobs, to be a good spark you need to read the big book and learn what the obscure phrases in there really mean. You will always get a much better response if you put forward what you think is the answer to a question. Do that and we will correct you with lots of helpful advice and suggestions as to what you need to read.

I think you need to take some of your own advice, based on your handful of posts you have become the first to be added to my 101 list

There are more than a couple of Evangelists on this Forum especially about Sola, but if you want to read real preaching look on the electric car section,😇 you will quickly learn who to ignore, you can always delete the notifications of their posts. 😜

There are more than a couple of Evangelists on this Forum especially about Sola, but if you want to read real preaching look on the electric car section,😇 you will quickly learn who to ignore, you can always delete the notifications of their posts. 😜
or even just be nice and civil to people when you're wanting their help perhaps?

Oddly enough, I havent seen an electric car section on here, are you getting confused with some other forum or is it a secret location here somewhere?

Not everyone on here is convinced global warming is even man made, yet, I keep working on them, but it's an improvement on climate change not existing at all a few years ago. So EVs are never going to float some peoples boats, and they are entitled to their opinions.

It's also fair to say trades work on building sites and other environments where being a bit 'blunt' is normal. Diplomacy is not a skill we are taught :ROFLMAO:

@binky I was in construction all of my working life and was never known for being a diplomat, although working with clients does teach you how to phrase things/advise so they are accepted for what they are, I must say that your posts are some of the most informative on this site and I appreciate the efforts you personally go to when explaining what you advise. 😀

Not everyone on here is convinced global warming is even man made, yet,
Man may have contributed to it but climate change was around long before man arrived on the planet
I keep working on them, but it's an improvement on climate change not existing at all a few years ago.
I think you need to rethink that as it has been around for waaaay longer than a few years more like many thousands of years
So EVs are never going to float some peoples boats, and they are entitled to their opinions.
They have their place, but being told we need to reduce energy usage how do we charge them
It's also fair to say trades work on building sites and other environments where being a bit 'blunt' is normal. Diplomacy is not a skill we are taught :ROFLMAO:
Especially when it comes to plasterers

Man may have contributed to it but climate change was around long before man arrived on the planet
Natural climate change has been around for as long as the planet, but explain the carbon charts to me since the industrial revolution, which are clearly as natural as a plastic chicken that lays 10inch dildos🐔 - bit of plasterer there 😃

And do feel free to prove me wrong if you can.

I would also suggest you watch 'Big oil versus the world ' on iPlayer , which is a revamp of another series that I can't remember the name of. It's a very interesting watch.

Last edited:
Yes it does but its a lifestyle choice that does not necessarily require a return on investment.
True, good point, well raised but the OP said in post #5

"The main focus was on the reduced price of the black friday deals."

and

"As long as the battery is charging up and down in cycles, Im happy to use the free power to charge my portable kit."

which suggested to me the ROI was a factor.

and

"As long as the battery is charging up and down in cycles, Im happy to use the free power to charge my portable kit."

which suggested to me the ROI was a factor. That said, the goal posts moved a few times through the thread.

and

which suggested to me the ROI was a factor.
Perhaps the OP might come in here was the purchase Life Style or ROI?

Perhaps the OP might come in here was the purchase Life Style or ROI?
Later in the thread he said he was going to use it as a project with his son developing software on an Arduino platform which is superb and can lead to much, much bigger projects, definitely more constructive and educational than wasting time on an xbox or playstation.

Later in the thread he said he was going to use it as a project with his son developing software on an Arduino platform which is superb and can lead to much, much bigger projects, definitely more constructive and educational than wasting time on an xbox or playstation.
Objection Milord council is offering supposition.💼

Latest posts