Small Van Recommendation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apache

Cow Fiddler ™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys

Early next year I will need a small van. It will be for lay staff to do deliveries and go out to assist vets. Just needs to be small, reliable and cheap to run.

Not looking at massive money to spend - but it needs to look 'smart'. White and sign written I think. Ideally solid bulkhead.

Is £1000 (+VAT) reasonable?

Cheers

I liked my Transit Connect, but at about 3.5 yrs the turbo failed & lunched the engine, that was main dealer serviced from new, and yes used, yes driven, but, imho, not abused.

I would say £1k is a bit low, I would also suggest speaking to your accountant as it, may, be better tax wise if you're a Ltd. Co. not to buy a cheap used van.

Personally I would say no. I have tried to by vans on a budget similar before and they have caused me no end of grief. For a Transit Connect size van I think you would want to spend around the £3500-4500 mark to get a nice van with low mileage. For a bag of sand you will probably get a bag of ****!

You could pick up a decent runabout for a grand, but they are few and far between. I picked up a van a few years ago from a mechanic I know (51 plate partner) for £500, absolutely cracking little runabout, no trouble at all. Before that though I spent £4k on a newer van from a dealer and spent double that in the first year repairing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The budget is reasonably flexable. I know there are tax advantages with leasing, but I'd rather earn money then spend it.

I know there are tax advantages with leasing, but I'd rather earn money then spend it.
I think the point being made was £100 odd per month and you get a brand new van, no hassle, full warranty etc. Spend a grand on a second hand van and it could cost you more than the price of the lease van over its life if you end up with a lemon.

All i can say is, stay away from car auctions. Everything in a car auction is there because it is total crap and no way was the seller prepared to let you try it as you would have walked away.... ANYTHING that was any good will be siphoned off, either by a dealer, or by the auction firm themselves, LONG before any auction..

john..

Yes, but Apache does not want to spend £15,000 on a van, leased or otherwise..

[add up the lease payments]

john..

Yes, but Apache does not want to spend £15,000 on a van, leased or otherwise..
You're missing the point, I didn't want to spend 12k on a new van so I bought a £4k van which then cost me over £8k in repairs/hire van costs etc.

Patch can do what he likes, I'm just offering my thoughts and experience.

It is for non critical use. Might sit there for 2 weeks undriven. If it gets a lot of use then I'll sell it and get something newer and better!

I have a plan involving some lay staff doing some driving, and occasionally a spare vehicle is useful (other cars getting serviced or repaired) for the vets.

I also have plans for  2 post lift so will do the basic mechanical stuff myself....

anyone else got visions of a horse on a 2 post lift in his surgery workshop, getting work done to the undercarriage?

Last edited by a moderator:
You're missing the point, I didn't want to spend 12k on a new van so I bought a £4k van which then cost me over £8k in repairs/hire van costs etc.Patch can do what he likes, I'm just offering my thoughts and experience.
I personally would not take financial advice from someone who spent £8k repairing a £4K motor.

i wouldnt take any advice from you, the amount of times you are wrong and wont listen to anyone else
Trust me the amount of times I am wrong is ridiculous. Such is life eh? I get things wrong all the time. Feel free to pm me if you wish to continue the conversation so as not to take this thread through the gutter.

I'm getting fed up of every thread ending with Essex turning it into a personal soapbox and arguing with everyone about everything for no reason.

Latest posts