Smart lights

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allan00biggs

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I'm not going to do this myself I know an electrician who will do it for me.

I'm looking to replace 4 separately switched hallway and stairs lights with smart lights and switches. And smart switches. Where the switches are WiFi/Bluetooth and the lights react to the switches.

I also want a PIR to switch maybe all of or maybe some of the lights on. I would like the PIR to dimm the lights.

Does anyone know if PIR part of this is possible?

Can anyone suggest suitable lights/switches?

Thanks

You want to look at "Home automation" (Lots of information on YouTube)

The easiest way is as john suggests to start with Phillips hue Click here for the Philips starter kit, you can even get colour changing lamps. The thing with Philips Hue is it is very easy to set up, and you can control it via Alexa (Or Google)

You do not need an electrician to set it up, all you do is change a few lamps, leave them switched on and let the App do everything for you. (To clarify, the new lamps you switch them off via the app or Alexa, you can even set a lamp to stay on as a "night light" and it will switch off at a set time, uses very little electricity)

Home automation is only limited by your imagination,

Phillips do make a PIR which is compatible with their other products Click here You would NOT need an electrician to install it.

If on the other hand you want something cheaper that just plugs in there is a whole variety available (according to taste) Click here

I would second Philips Hue.
I have gone down that road at my own home and I am a spark.
I went that way to give myself some of my independence back following paralysis from cancer.
I have integrated lamps and a bridge into the Hue App and Apple Home, along with a Netatmo smart doorbell.
ITTT and several other systems will work on the Synology network hardware I have here.
Then you have the option of a Raspberry Pi once available again!
As an automation server.
Unless you plan on changing the actual light fittings, you don't need a spark.
My wife and son have done most of the work here.
I had a spark friend to change 2 wall lights because they were physically too small for the Hue lamps are another one to fit the bell
Though I honestly think that my wife could have done that with my guidance.
Under most circumstances, the Netatmo doorbell camera is designed for DIY fit.
When it comes to programming things, there are lots of Internet resources for that.
I have had to teach myself this way.

But this isn’t what the OP asked for, not by a million miles.

I never said that it was.

I merely offered an alternative suggestion for the desired end result that does not cost a lot of money like phillips hue does.

Home automation is only limited by your imagination,

And your parents turning all the switches off at night

I never said that it was.

I merely offered an alternative suggestion for the desired end result that does not cost a lot of money like phillips hue does.
Still trying to find out if I can switch the bulbs on but dimmed when it's the PIR doing the switching.

Also do other physical smart switches work ?

If you have a Phillips Hue lamp it can be dimmed by the Hue PIR or the Hue switch. You can change the settings to your liking via the App (You only need to set it up once)

Example.
Landing has Hue lamp and Hue PIR.
The hall (Downstairs) has a Hue switch

It's 10:30 pm and you go upstairs, you operate the hall switch, the landing light comes on at 60% after 10 minutes the lamp goes out and you have gone to bed.
At 11:00 pm the landing light comes on at 5% and switches off at 07:00
At 03:30 you get up and go to the bathroom, the light is on at 5%, the PIR sees you and changes the light to 30% for 5 minutes.
During the day, the light is off, but will come on if you operate the hall switch.

In theory any Zigbee device will work with Phillips Hue, but there is no guarantee. BUT there are some brands of smart device that carry the "Friends of Hue" logo, these are guaranteed to work with Phillips Hue

The above only being an example, you can change the timings etc to suit your requirements, you do this via the App.

Cost is approx £137 Click here

If you have a Phillips Hue lamp it can be dimmed by the Hue PIR or the Hue switch. You can change the settings to your liking via the App (You only need to set it up once)

Example.
Landing has Hue lamp and Hue PIR.
The hall (Downstairs) has a Hue switch

It's 10:30 pm and you go upstairs, you operate the hall switch, the landing light comes on at 60% after 10 minutes the lamp goes out and you have gone to bed.
At 11:00 pm the landing light comes on at 5% and switches off at 07:00
At 03:30 you get up and go to the bathroom, the light is on at 5%, the PIR sees you and changes the light to 30% for 5 minutes.
During the day, the light is off, but will come on if you operate the hall switch.

In theory any Zigbee device will work with Phillips Hue, but there is no guarantee. BUT there are some brands of smart device that carry the "Friends of Hue" logo, these are guaranteed to work with Phillips Hue

The above only being an example, you can change the timings etc to suit your requirements, you do this via the App.

Cost is approx £137 Click here
Thanks

Forgive me for this question.

Example

2 bulbs one upstairs one downstairs each separately switched but 2 double smart switches so that upstairs can be switched off and on from upstairs and downstairs. Same with other bulb. All at high output.

2 PIRs both of which switch on both bulbs at low setting.

Is this possible?

Forgive me for this question.

Example

2 bulbs one upstairs one downstairs each separately switched but 2 double smart switches so that upstairs can be switched off and on from upstairs and downstairs. Same with other bulb. All at high output.

2 PIRs both of which switch on both bulbs at low setting.

Is this possible?
Absolutely YES and easily achieved with HUE. You set the lights as 'scenes' whatever brightness you want, which ones are on, which ones are off for a particular scene. The Switches and PIR are then added to trigger a scene, sounds complicated but it really isn't.

J

Absolutely YES and easily achieved with HUE. You set the lights as 'scenes' whatever brightness you want, which ones are on, which ones are off for a particular scene. The Switches and PIR are then added to trigger a scene, sounds complicated but it really isn't.

J
Thanks it sounds like event driven programming

Latest posts