smart meters & off peak pricing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's almost like they are reading a pre-written book that we all know the ending to...
Deffinately a master plan behind it all. It's frustrating to see it unfold, if nothing else.

It's almost like they are reading a pre-written book that we all know the ending to...
Deffinately a master plan behind it all. It's frustrating to see it unfold, if nothing else.
It's nice to see they have some form of plan at all!

Smart meters and grid supply issues have long been part of the solution to green energy production. Personally, I think the government has been far too slow off the mark in reducing our dependence on gas.

seems to me that the first thing government should do is to remove the tax on electricity and gas (domestic at least).

It has recently become abundantly clear (if it wasn;t already) that energy if a fundamental necessity of modern life, like food and water, and really should not be teaxed. ESPECIALLY when we already pay our bills out of taxed income!

I'm not arguing against taxes, of course we must pay taxes, but lets be straight and honest about them. For example, what's the currrent VAT rate? 20% right? WRONG!! It's 20% of what you spend from already taxed income.

It's nice to see they have some form of plan at all!

Smart meters and grid supply issues have long been part of the solution to green energy production. Personally, I think the government has been far too slow off the mark in reducing our dependence on gas.
Given that about 50% of our leccy is produced using gas, When you stop using gas, your are using gas :ROFLMAO:

So the article talks about buying cheaper lecky, but fails to mention lecky prices going up at peak times

hum
the 'cheaper' is normal rate. the peak times is premium

and since everyone will want to use leccy as off peak times, they will probably have variable 'off peak' times based on total demand so will change on a daily basis. off peak start at 1800? well everyone started using more power then so off peak is now 1740-1800 and then 1900 onwards. oh, youre getting your food & shower at 1900 now? thats now a peak time, off peak is now 1800-1845

Once they have forced us into electric everything there will no longer be off peak or not so peak electricity then add in the not so smart big brother will control you meters for limiting when you can use your smart appliances or throw the occassional instant power cut and we will be up the creek without a paddle

Personally, I think the government has been far too slow off the mark in reducing our dependence on gas.
Don't you remember the earlier "rush to gas" to reduce dependence on coal and its emissions ??

Government policy is mired in the thoughts of so called advisors who could not design there way out of a cardboard box!

Don't you remember the earlier "rush to gas" to reduce dependence on coal and its emissions ??

Government policy is mired in the thoughts of so called advisors who could not design there way out of a cardboard box!
indeed I do, another short termist policy to meet CO2 reduction targets.

I don't believe its the advice that's at fault, it's the government trying not to 'upset the apple cart' ie do anything that might upset their voters. Remember Dave Cameroon promising the 'greenest government ever', then slashing FiT payments and allowing big companies to absord the budget for solar energy by building solar farms.

We have all the tools and tech we need to reach net zero, what has always been lacking is the political will to invest and bring it to fruition. Covid was a very good example of what can be achieved when they do pull fingers out of bottoms!

Once they have forced us into electric everything there will no longer be off peak or not so peak electricity then add in the not so smart big brother will control you meters for limiting when you can use your smart appliances or throw the occassional instant power cut and we will be up the creek without a paddle
That's where people will go off grid to provide their own power through batteries generator for top up and PV or wind