socket in garage

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveygh

Reaction score
Hi can anyone see a problem with this:

house with 17th ed cu with an outside socket on a 16amp radial (rcd backed), socket and light required in garage so was thinking of taking a swa off this socket into the garage and connect into 2 unswitched fcu's , 1 double socket to come off 1 fcu 13amp fuse and the light off the other fcu 3 amp fuse. the cu is at the front of the house just inside the front door so cant really come off this (no way to hide the cable)

cheers for your comments

yep,

whats your earthing arrangement?

whats a 17th CU ?

what size cable on your radial?

and what rating and type of RCD?

what size SWA?

2x FCU in garage is still 26Amps, doesnt matter what size fuse you insert, you can only control this by your front end in this situation.

Not sure you need the sockets on their own fused spur - just take the lights off on a 3A.

Dare I ask - what's the earthing arrangement? :C

yep,whats your earthing arrangement?

whats a 17th CU ?

what size cable on your radial?

and what rating and type of RCD?

what size SWA?

2x FCU in garage is still 26Amps, doesnt matter what size fuse you insert, you can only control this by your front end in this situation.
Cant see why you would need 2 fcu's, probably just need the one for lighting....however we need to know the above and also how far the garage is away from the consumer unit and what you intend to power from the socket.

17th cu is what it says a dual rcd split load board compliant with 17th edition

cable size is 4mm radial

rcd is 63amp 30m/A

swa would be 4mm

and i thought the idea of a fcu is to fuse down the load you are supplying

the garage is only about 3m from the outside socket which is on the rear of the house, i did think about just the 1 fcu but thought it would limit what he plugged in inside the garage.

17th cu is what it says a dual rcd split load board compliant with 17th editioncable size is 4mm radial

rcd is 63amp 30m/A

swa would be 4mm

and i thought the idea of a fcu is to fuse down the load you are supplying
we still dont know your earthing arrangements,

17th compliant board means nothing, I could make virtually any board manufactured in the last 20years comply with the 17th edition, still may not make it safe or satisfactory.

your RCD may not comply with BS7671.2008/2011 depending on your earthing arrangement.

your SWA may be the same depending on cores and distance.

you are trying to fuse down a supply of 16amps to 16amps, there is no difference, but you are allowing a permissable load of 26amps from a 16amp MCB, so its pointless.

the garage is only about 3m from the outside socket which is on the rear of the house, i did think about just the 1 fcu but thought it would limit what he plugged in inside the garage.
?

You impose a greater limit fusing the socket (unnecessarily) down to 13A. You could quite safely put a another couple of double sockets on the 16A radial. All the fuse in the FCU is there for is to protect the cable from melting........

ok sorry steps i should have said it is a brand new house only been built in the last few months so i know everything is satisfactory,the person buying it didnt have enough budget for the builders to do the electrics in the garage as they wanted silly money as an extra so for now he wants a cheap option to put a socket in there for a freezer.

with regards to the point about the load of 26amps can i ask what you would have done if it was you putting in the outside socket would you have put it on a 32a mcb? And are you saying the socket is not compliant ?