Solar PV testing and commissioning

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bhav101

Reaction score
Hi guys I completed a solar pv course earlier in the year and to be honest it wasn't that detailed in terms of fault finding, testing new installs and commissioning process. I've bought an irradiance meter and dc clamp meter and ready to install my first system at home but I'm not sure of the exact method of testing the panels/strings and the calculations against the datasheet for the irradiance meter etc. Can the solar pros please help out? What tests should I be doing and how? Is there anything to read up on as I can't find anything online either. Thanks in advance!

The panel data sheet will give you Standard Test Condition power output for the panel, eg 500W. STC is 1000w/m2 irradiance, so if your irradiance meter is showing say 500w then your panel should be generating 250w for a 500w panel. Multiply that by the number of panels on the string and that's what you should see at the inverter. However, you will find irradiance fluctuates really quickly in the real world, so numbers are 'ball park'. There's no test for continuity in the strings, and you will need solar test gear like the Seaward 150 to test for insulation.

My advice, install all connections carefully, cable tie them up off the roof to the rails. Make sure the MC4s you install on the ends of the strings are done up properly, and watch the inverter start up carefully on the screen. Basically the inverter tests the system for you on start up. Fault finding - get a Seaward, they offer advice on how to do that, and there's various you tube videos

When I went for the solar pv course they told me to buy the TIS PV kit which is a DC clamp meter and irradiance meter, I was told this would be sufficient to do all testings as per MCS guidelines but they didn't show us how to do any of these tests! Can all the tests be done with this equipment because I can't figure it out, the test centre isn't replying now or do I need to buy Seaward 150 to do MCS commissioning tests?

According to MCS you are supposed to check every panel before installing, or at least that's what they wanted when I did the course. In reality, it doesn't happen, as I've never had a duff panel. So irradiance meter and clamp meter sit in a tool box not being used. The Seaward gear gets used occasionally for fault finding other people's poor work.