Solaredge Question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy82h

Reaction score
Hi, I have a se6000h inverter which has 2 sets of MC4 connections are currently in use with 2 strings (one south facing x 11, panels and one west facing 12 panels)
270W panels all with solaredge optimisers. IO want to install a battery, would It be a case of just to combine the strings to free up a set of MC4 connections on the inverter? or will there be another piece of kit to purchase?

Not familiar with solaredge, but a bit of web searching suggests you need a storedge?

https://knowledge-center.solaredge.com/sites/kc/files/residential_catalogue_eng_uk.pdf
see p29/30

looks like can also use 48V batteries with this see p24

https://knowledge-center.solaredge.com/sites/kc/files/storedge_brochure_eng.pdf

Doesn't sound sensible to combine strings to free up an Input connector, presumably you would need an Output connector from the inverter? Suggest you take a look at the se6000h manual.

Hi, I have a se6000h inverter which has 2 sets of MC4 connections are currently in use with 2 strings (one south facing x 11, panels and one west facing 12 panels)
270W panels all with solaredge optimisers. IO want to install a battery, would It be a case of just to combine the strings to free up a set of MC4 connections on the inverter? or will there be another piece of kit to purchase?
your current inverter will not be capable of charging a battery. Your options are to change to a SE hybrid inverter, or install an 'AC battery' ie independent of the solor array - this would be my preferred approach as SE compatible batteries are expensive.

As binky said.

Because the MC4 connectors are for the PV, and require a minimum of 380V to work.
Batteries are only 48V or sometimes 96V.
these would be inputs only for the inverter from the solar panels, they don't output anything that could be vaguely used to charge a battery. You used to be able to buy DC connected batteries, but all these did was store energy and release it to the inverter after the sun goes down with no real control by demand for energy from the house.

Latest posts