Some one needs a slap...(Venting Time)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many jobs do you need for your assessment? Is it the same as the NIC 1 major and 1 minor?

Are both of yours major?

Are any of them on an extension being done by a builder?

If you go NIC then you only need 1 notified job, how much would they charge for the one job?

The way I did it was I contacted a builder friend and offered to wire a rear extension not charge for the labour, as he was doing it via building regs there was no additional fee, the LABC (Derby City Council) building inspector checked my 1st fix during one of the builders routine inspections then he sent their spark to have a chat with me when I was testing and then I just sent them the EIC, that was my major job all done with no fees.

Its a catch 22 situation I would think. It looks like you have a very unhelpful LABC, Most are very happy to have a copy of your qualifications, and would allow you to issue the EIC, then when you pass the assessment another EIC should be issued with your registration details so that a compliance certificate can be issued. My qualifications and details are still held by the local LABC in my area, I know this because they told me that I need to show them my 17th edition for my records to stay on file, and thats even with Part P being in effect.

Yes Manator, the fact that I am claiming job seekers allowance so I have a very limited possible income does not help matters. I have also just found out that one of the jobs that I was going to use for My assessment may not now actually happen, so I will see how things go when the time comes.

AndyGuinness

Just do the job and notify after you pass. Contact your proposed scheme provider and explain the situation to them

This is one of those areas where the strict adherence to rules is actually dependent upon some of the terms of your contract with your customer.

And some of the requirements for membership of an approved contractor scheme do NOT require every bit of wiring within a property to have been brought up to current regs.

It is technically possible to meet the rules whilst having an overlap of timescales within the individual components of compliance...

It rather pivots around a few points such as:-

How long is a Job?

When is the Job complete?

Could a job have individual smaller stages of work which are done prior to the full job being completed?

There is nothing preventing a business agreeing a contract for some work that is undertaken over several months...

The notification & compliance certificate have to be done within 30 days of completion of the job.. (not at numerous stages through the job!)

Providing sufficient work is available for inspection an approved contractor body should be able to assess a persons competence..

Consider a hypothetical scenario.......

Customer wants a new circuit and fuse-box installed, you agree a price for the whole job, but because it is mutually beneficial you agree to do the work spread over three-months with part payment stages agreed on your contract.

[Fuse box is in the corner of the downstairs room that they are having decorated so want the fuse box done quickly]

[New circuit is to a garden office shed which is not being delivered for 10 weeks]

You agree to put in the fuse box/Bonding and run an armored up the garden the the area where the office will be built...

Fuse box is all up and working.. {excluding the new circuit}

You make out a temporary certificate with all of your tests excluding the new circuit which is not working yet.

which is probably enough for an assessment to be made of your competence.. as many are tested JUST on a CU change!!!!

{I know for a fact I have been assess using a job with a new CU but still awaiting other circuits to be improved...

ps This was a "minor" job the other being a Full rewire!}

So assessment all goes hunky-dorey..

But the shed people ring up there is another delay of 5-week for the office because of bad weather and delays with their materials..

Eventually the shed/office goes in..

you go back and finish off you new circuit..

Once the whole originally agreed JOB is completed..

you issue the customer with an EIC covering the CU & new circuit

& as you are now passed as competent you are legit to self cert & notify LABC!

Now...

It could be argued BOTH ways that have followed and broken the rules..

BUT there is NO obligation to notify a large job multiple times during the course of the work..

Some large jobs can carry on for several months+ but the CU may have been technically working for several weeks!!!

Discuss?????????????????????

I didn't pay labc costs just notified the job once passed. Elecsa are ok with this mate
Would that be assuming a) a pass is given and B) its within the 21 days notification period that you do the work then get assessed?

instead of LABC inspecting at first & second fix, then assessment, the assesement should be in 2 parts - at first fix & second fix. no LABC. providing all is good, you pass assessment, and that job is your first notified job. if you fail at it, then its passed onto LABC and for them to take any action required as though it had been notified to them in the first place and you mess up.

problem solved

Don't think you can do that as if you fail you can't go LABC as they need a fee and application before you start

Don't think you can do that as if you fail you can't go LABC as they need a fee and application before you start
you may aswell have said you can build a house anywhere , badly, and they wont be able to do anything about it if you dont notify them/get planning permission