Sparky or non sparky poll

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which of the following best describes you...?

• Sparky (domestic)

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Sparky (industrial/commercial)

Votes: 104 24.3%
  • Sparky (domestic & industrial/commercial)

Votes: 61 14.3%
  • Sparky (either retired or working in another job)

Votes: 140 32.7%
  • Interested DIYer

Votes: 19 4.4%
  • Other (specify below please)

Votes: 28 6.5%
  • Training as an Electrician

Votes: 74 17.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Admin, so you did add "training to become an electrician" in the end. Yey. Go you. 

How about adding another category in the voting panel,

I'm interested in lighting design for film set and residential, and so researching becoming an electrician. 
Can you add "researching into / thinking about becoming an electrician" as another option. Bit of encouragement to the youngsters out there.

Admin, so you did add "training to become an electrician" in the end. Yey. Go you. 

How about adding another category in the voting panel,

I'm interested in lighting design for film set and residential, and so researching becoming an electrician. 
Can you add "researching into / thinking about becoming an electrician" as another option. Bit of encouragement to the youngsters out there.

Also good at repeating myself. 

I don't think I'd qualify as a 'sparky' in the UK because I wouldn't be able to join a scheme as far as I know so the closest would be interested DIY'er.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet you could Marvo .........can you conjour up  a cheque for  £450 + VAT  and a torque screwdriver.  ?  

If you're thinking of coming here  , Marvo, do you know we have rempaging immigration ?    I think there may be a 3 sq. mtr spot near me with no one on it , you could live there ..........or theres a traffic island on the A1  with a vacancy if you're quick.   :innocent   

Lol, thanks for the offer but I already have a house in the UK although I haven't set foot in it for about 8 years.....and I think I'd rather keep the 400 quid in my pocket and by classed as a DIY'er thanks ;)

16 years as a Mechanical Hydraulic Engineering Tech from aviation background.  Now working 8+ years on ROV's with 3000Vac /3 phase - input of 440Vac at 250A from rig or ship, down to single phase 12Vdc.  Did some basic courses in electrics during training for ROV's, but have learnt a lot more in 8+ years on the job.

Haven't a clue about domestic electrics compared to professional electricians on here, but would rather be honest and get a qualified sparky in to resolve any domestic electric issues I have.

I can wire a plug, and trace faults, so not completely clueless, but still - if I'm not sure - I play it safe and call a qualified sparky.

So I'd put myself as a mech/hyd tech first, but with working knowledge of some industrial surface and subsea electrics.

WSKdtFQ.png.96ab56e34bbb066fb273efcb1c985359.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts