Switch Differences, L1,L2,L3,L4 to Common, L1,L2 ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DazJames

Reaction score
I have a 1 gang switch on the landing which i was looking to replace, however the old switch has 4 wires, L1, L2, L3 and L4 (1 wire in each.

The replacement switch has common, L1 and L2

Is this switch compatible can it be used in a different way. It controls the light on the landing and there is another switch in the hallway that also controls that light.

Is it a case of wires going in different points?

Thought I'd ask here before calling a sparky.

Your "new" switch is a "2 way switch" The switch you have is called an "intermediate" switch, you need a new intermediate switch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 1 gang switch on the landing which i was looking to replace, however the old switch has 4 wires, L1, L2, L3 and L4 (1 wire in each.

The replacement switch has common, L1 and L2

Is this switch compatible can it be used in a different way. It controls the light on the landing and there is another switch in the hallway that also controls that light.

Is it a case of wires going in different points?

Thought I'd ask here before calling a sparky.

A few key points may be of help to you for future reference..
Or for any others just browsing the forum who stumble across this thread?

[1] There are three basic types of switch for controlling lights; "One-Way", "Two-Way", "Intermediate".

[2] There are NO standard terminal designations for light switches that all manufactures have to use.. So numerous permutations of "C", "Com", "1way", "2way", "L1", "L2", "L3", "L4", "L11", "L12", "L21", "L22" etc... etc... etc... can be found dependent upon who made the switch.

[3] A single "One-Way" switch working one (or more) light(s) only needs 2 terminals.
["One-Way" makes or breaks a connection between the two terminals]

[4] A pair of "Two-Way" switches can allow 2 switch locations to work the same light(s) e.g. hall & landing. "Two-Way" switches will each have three terminals.
{A "Two-Way" switch can also be used as a "One-Way" switch.}
["Two-Way" swaps a connection between two of the terminals and a common terminal]

[5] A pair of "Two-Way" switches plus one (or more) "Intermediate" switches can allow 3 or more switch locations to all operate the same light(s). e.g. hall/landing/loft. Or multiple doorways entering the same hall-way in a large bungalow. "Intermediate" switches will each have four terminals.
{An "Intermediate" switch can be used as a "Two-Way" or a "One-Way" switch.}
["Intermediate" swaps two connections over between two pairs of terminals, performing a cross-over function between a pair of conductors in and out]

[6] But excluding the simple two-terminal "One-Way" switch... you do need to check with the manufactures installation instruction leaflet to confirm exactly what they call their respective switch terminals!!!

Hope that helps a bit? 🍺 :)

A few key points may be of help to you for future reference..
Or for any others just browsing the forum who stumble across this thread?

[1] There are three basic types of switch for controlling lights; "One-Way", "Two-Way", "Intermediate".

[2] There are NO standard terminal designations for light switches that all manufactures have to use.. So numerous permutations of "C", "Com", "1way", "2way", "L1", "L2", "L3", "L4", "L11", "L12", "L21", "L22" etc... etc... etc... can be found dependent upon who made the switch.

[3] A single "One-Way" switch working one (or more) light(s) only needs 2 terminals.
["One-Way" makes or breaks a connection between the two terminals]

[4] A pair of "Two-Way" switches can allow 2 switch locations to work the same light(s) e.g. hall & landing. "Two-Way" switches will each have three terminals.
{A "Two-Way" switch can also be used as a "One-Way" switch.}
["Two-Way" swaps a connection between two of the terminals and a common terminal]

[5] A pair of "Two-Way" switches plus one (or more) "Intermediate" switches can allow 3 or more switch locations to all operate the same light(s). e.g. hall/landing/loft. Or multiple doorways entering the same hall-way in a large bungalow. "Intermediate" switches will each have four terminals.
{An "Intermediate" switch can be used as a "Two-Way" or a "One-Way" switch.}
["Intermediate" swaps two connections over between two pairs of terminals, performing a cross-over function between a pair of conductors in and out]

[6] But excluding the simple two-terminal "One-Way" switch... you do need to check with the manufactures installation instruction leaflet to confirm exactly what they call their respective switch terminals!!!

Hope that helps a bit? 🍺 :)
This is really useful information, thanks for taking the time to respond and I'm sure will help others like me. New intermediate switch has been ordered.