Spot the (gas) fault

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The pipe coming in UPHILL from the left is the D1 discharge pipe from the over pressure valve. That pipe is supposed to maintain a fall, not go uphill.

Out of the photo, but the D2 pipe (out of the "tundish" must also maintain a fall throughout it's length, but instead goes straight down, then flat along the garage floor with no fall.  It exit's the garage so close to ground level I would be very surprised if it manages the correct clearance above the discharge point.

Mate had a cracker, went to fit an aerial and the guy was anal about where he wanted the cable bringing in, anyway he's marked the position but my mate checked it and there was a gas main directly in line on the other side of the wall feeding the meter(outside box). Mate refuses to drill it, customer grabs mates drill and plows through the wall, "see job done no problem" my mate looks at him for a few minutes, then, "anybody smell gas?", they go outside and the drill had gone straight through the gas main. Mate tapes it up and rings Transco, their engineer comes out and tells the guy it's not going to be a cheap job as they have to dig up the drive, guy replies "well I'm not paying, it's a stupid place to run a gas pipe!" Honestly it came out of the ground, bright yellow and ran vertical on an outside wall before disappearing into a large white box marked "GAS"! OK it didn't have flashing lights around it but generally they don't do they?

How to upset british gas in one easy lesson. Their gas main was going to be slap bang in in the middle of a new manhole I was building/digging.

I phone up and ask “is this main live?”

“We’ll phone you back”

They called back with “We’re not sure, We’ll phone you back”

I phone back “Update your records, it is dead” “How do you know?” “I’ve just put a hacksaw through it.”

I brazed a bolt on to the pipe and connected it to the house earth nest.

Last edited by a moderator: