Start Capacitor Query

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayne

Reaction score
Hi all 👋🏻
I’m recently replaced a motor start capacitor for a refrigerant compressor on a ground source heating system. The previous item failed, I have since replaced it and the system is working fine. But it wasn’t like for like. The original capacitor was 145-174uF but the item I replaced it with was 150uF. Essentially I needed to get the system running and reinstate the heating to the property. Could anyone tell me if the capacitor I’ve used is sufficient, or should I order a like for like part? I’m unsure what significance the 145-174uF range of the old capacitor holds? The start package consists of a start relay, start capacitor, run capacitor and soft start module.
Any help would be greatly appreciated 😊
Cheers
Wayne

That sort of capacitor has a wide manufacturing tolerance. The one quoting a range is declaring that, the other is stating its nominal value. The important thing is that the voltage rating is high enough.

Yep as long as you got an ac mains capacitor of the correct rating u r good to go. If a cap shows only one value without a plus and minus percentage then the value stated should be a minimum value. Capacitors can have really quite wide tolerance values compared to say resistors. The Starter cap is basically to get the motor running in the first place by causing a phase shift in the AC waveform causing magnetic flux to build up in one direction in the stator thus getting the rotor to start spinning. :)
Cheers
Stuart

Thanks for the help all 😊 I checked that the failed capacitor was original spec, I would have ordered the same again but was only available from the U.S. on a long lead time. New capacitor is rated to the correct voltage, so should be all good 😊 Thanks again