Start of a new stripout and rewire

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacon

Reaction score
Started this Thursday stripout and rewire,

Got to remove all the old switchgear and refit new gear,Started removing switches on walls and all sockets and 3PH sockets on walls and 110v sockets all wired in PVC conduit.

The person who put the cladding on the outside was a lucky chappie that day because quite a few of the fixing pins went straight through the conduit and heres me thinking this stuffs been fitted bloody well as it was a B*****d to get out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Few more pics from job first pic a quick look at whats connected to the Bus-Bar.disconnect and ring out to find out what switches they fed then disconnect,second pic cut the cable out and leave one in that feeds a switch with a couple of sockets and put a feed from switch for lights as the light were feed from individual switches via a small C/U.

Last pic tray going on steels for new lighting circuits

Few more pics from job first pic a quick look at whats connected to the Bus-Bar.disconnect and ring out to find out what switches they fed then disconnect,second pic cut the cable out and leave one in that feeds a switch with a couple of sockets and put a feed from switch for lights as the light were feed from individual switches via a small C/U.Last pic tray going on steels for new lighting circuits
Hi Bacon, sorry what do you mean by 'Ring Out' please?

and also how on earth do you manage to do any electrical work when your fingertips are that big?!? ;)

Hi Bacon, sorry what do you mean by 'Ring Out' please?and also how on earth do you manage to do any electrical work when your fingertips are that big?!? ;)
(Ring out)Disconnect cable from bus-bar and then a link say betwen red,blue&yellow at panel contiuity test at said switch see if we have correct cables and if so we remove them from switch and remove cable from bus-bar chamber,and then move to next switch and carry on doing that till we had found the one we needed to keep in.No markings on any cables and the ones we needed out all went in underground duct.

Big fingers fair point with it over the lens of the i-pad.

(Ring out)Disconnect cable from bus-bar and then a link say betwen red,blue&yellow at panel contiuity test at said switch see if we have correct cables and if so we remove them from switch and remove cable from bus-bar chamber,and then move to next switch and carry on doing that till we had found the one we needed to keep in.No markings on any cables and the ones we needed out all went in underground duct.
thanks for that, I had no idea thats what it was called :)

I got the lads i've got with me on this job to start installing the tray and cable for the ISO's and 110v sockets and down the wall and all was going well,no mention with regards to the tray from the person in charge of the site untill the client came down and one of the lads heard a remark some think like where's the LID any how he gave me the heads up with what was said and then i asked what the problems was and after a few words it transpired they wanted ( have a guess).

And i said no chance.

Not a fan of mounting switches on flimsy tray i must admit, Much prefer to mount them onto solid structure and tray upto either side , But thats just personal preference.

Also think the two cables going to the 110V socket would look better if tied together in the middle of the tray, Again personal preference .

Nick

The remarks with regards to the tray is that they wanted the cables cleated to the wall,they think it looks better.

Boards made up and fitted had to use resin compound to fit to the wall via 10mm rod as breeze block wouldn't hold it.

More wall and ceiling lights to be fitted in the PETREG part of the building and a few isolators and a light switch.

And 200mtrs of 10mm 4 core SWA cable to come out of the ducting.

Please tell me i am seeing things, but have you used 3 blue conductors for the mains tails and put coloured tape on them ????

Bit of a shortage on tails at wholesalers with tails for boards and they are all marked up with heat shrink.

So alls well,

Afraid to say that all is definiteley NOT well. Blue is solely to be used as a neutral conductor in BS7671 and shall not be used as a phase conductor. I am guessing you have also used blue as your neutral aswell to add confusion to the situation. Why not save some more money and use earth for them all ????? Had you used black,brown , or grey phase conductors then sleeved them up then that would have been fine under the regs as they are all phase colours. This will fail any future inspection due to the above reason. Using the wholsalers lack of stock is not really any sort of argument as every wholesaler worth his slat can order cut cable in within 48 hours .

Not trying to have a pop at you but i just hate it when qualified sparks seem to think they can just install anything and make do .

Nick

Afraid to say that all is definiteley NOT well. Blue is solely to be used as a neutral conductor in BS7671 and shall not be used as a phase conductor. I am guessing you have also used blue as your neutral aswell to add confusion to the situation. Why not save some more money and use earth for them all ????? Had you used black,brown , or grey phase conductors then sleeved them up then that would have been fine under the regs as they are all phase colours. This will fail any future inspection due to the above reason. Using the wholsalers lack of stock is not really any sort of argument as every wholesaler worth his slat can order cut cable in within 48 hours .Not trying to have a pop at you but i just hate it when qualified sparks seem to think they can just install anything and make do .

Nick
and what reg would that be?

Sparkydude,

So long as the cables are correctly identified at the terminations you can use whatever colour you like.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:05 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:04 ----------

It's only an earth cable that should only be used as an earth..

and I say "should" because BS7671 is not statutory

Well i must admit i have seen old colours say red/grey or black/grey used on live or neutral many times so Bacon maybe not the only one doing it.