Storage heater minor works cert. Question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodgerk1977

Reaction score
just wondering if anyone can help. live in a council house and took the storage heaters out some time ago, now we are just about move out and council want them reinstated and a minor works certificate issued. the heaters are now back in place with the cables ready to be wired back into the sockets on the wall. The sockets were left in place and still wired up inside from the mains. one of the sockets is a fused spur still live for the convection part of the heater the other switch is for the off peak part of the heater. now the off peak part is dead as it was blanked off at the fuse board by edf energy when we changed to a single rate tariff. my question is can a minor works certificate still be issued one these heaters are wired in even though part of the circuit will be dead. thanks in advance.

So you no longer have an off peak supply for the storage heaters. What do you mean by 'blanked off by EDF'.

A minor works could be completed with dead tests only ……
..... But the storage heaters won't work will they?

I suspect the council are expecting the storage heaters to be re connected and working and expecting the next tenant to be able to use them for heating.

..... But the storage heaters won't work will they?

I suspect the council are expecting the storage heaters to be re connected and working and expecting the next tenant to be able to use them for heating.

Maybe. The next step for the OP is to clarify the councils expectations

We can only speculate

Maybe. The next step for the OP is to clarify the councils expectations

We can only speculate
The council want them reinstated and a minor works certificate issued. I don't think they can specify what tariff we are on. The new tenants have told the council they don't want them. This is part of a mutual exchange.

The council want them reinstated and a minor works certificate issued. I don't think they can specify what tariff we are on. The new tenants have told the council they don't want them. This is part of a mutual exchange.
In that case it's a box ticking exercise. Re connect them, get the MWC and everybody happy.

No point even putting the bricks in the heaters, it will make it easier for the new tenants to remove them again.

But how did you heat the house without them?

In that case it's a box ticking exercise. Re connect them, get the MWC and everybody happy.

No point even putting the bricks in the heaters, it will make it easier for the new tenants to remove them again.

But how did you heat the house without them?
Ok we have an electrition coming out Wednesday so fingers crossed. We have log burner style electric heaters. Old grade 2 listed house.

Attachments

• IMG_20220828_204243.jpg
    IMG_20220828_204243.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20220828_204257.jpg
    IMG_20220828_204257.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20220829_104856.jpg
    IMG_20220829_104856.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
But if this is a mutual exchange and the new tenant does not want the storage heaters. get the electrician to connect them and issue the MWC (with dead testing only) to keep the council happy. It does not matter that the E7 consumer unit has no power.

But if this is a mutual exchange and the new tenant does not want the storage heaters. get the electrician to connect them and issue the MWC (with dead testing only) to keep the council happy. It does not matter that the E7 consumer unit has no power.
This is what I am hoping for.

Thanks for the feedback. What a shame you had to spend money though, just to satisfy some desk jockey who probably wouldn't know a storage heater from a hole in the floor!

Latest posts