Strange stray voltage

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Failing cheap test gear try circuit on different MCB, or possibly check for continuity through MCB (dead of course) - you haven't filled them up with dust have you????
Nope all nice and clean! I can try but I dont see how that would affect it, the MCB is on but there is no connection between it and the test leads!

Ok so rigged a 60w bulb across it and the stray V disappeared. Thanks Lurch.

With everything in the house dead and no immediate neighbours I don't understand why so much EMF or could there be something coming in on the main supply?

Anyway this just about renders any testing with that meter or similar useless in this house - I had in fact noticed what I thought was a borrowed neutral or a crossed lighting circuit whilst testing a few weeks ago (added to the list to sort out!) but now I realise it may have been this same issue.

So looking at someone like test-meter.co.uk how far (

The test meter I have thrown in the tool bag for day to day use is an AlphaTek mid range autoranging true RMS DMM with a few extra functions. I'd say for somewhere under a ton you'd get a cracking meter,

induced voltages fool my megger MFT and fluke T5-1000, but these no fooling the martindale voltage indicator.

Just looking on test-meter.co.uk there's only one there that fits the bill for occasional usage, the Kewtech KT117. The other 2 Kewtech ones aren;t bad, but I'd always get something with true RMS FWIW when using it primarily with mains AC.

Thanks Lurch

Could you tell me the practical benefit of true RMS measurement (I know what it is just not sure why I need it!)

Out of interest (OK...of my bank balance!) would an analogue meter exhibit the same issues ?

Cheers !

Thanks LurchCould you tell me the practical benefit of true RMS measurement (I know what it is just not sure why I need it!)

Out of interest (OK...of my bank balance!) would an analogue meter exhibit the same issues ?

Cheers !
none RMS meters may give the peak voltage, or somewhere inbetween, so 230v may appear as 325v

:CI had same experience with my house, found stary voltage coming in from earthing system.

Eventually sussed it, the stary voltage was coming down the water main.

Its not like the water company to give anything away is it

I saw the mistake I made in the spelling & then read your reply & fell about laughing.

Classic!!