Student Engineer

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awkwardlighting

Reaction score
Goodafternoon Folks!

I am a student at Strathclyde University studying product Design Engineering in my 4th year and am currently undertaking a personal design project developing lighting for areas that are awkward to get at.

OK, I here you say "headtorch, now go away," but what if there was something better, for when you would rather not use your head to light things, or when your head doesn't fit. I will re-iterate so I don't get booted, this isn't for any commercial gain... but might be linked to me getting a good degree. ;) I would love your opinions and ideas on what you folks as electricians think would benefit you?

I have released a survey which asks a set of fairly generic questions. If you have the time or the inclination to help me out that would be awesome.

Thats the link - http://www.kwiksurveys.com?s=ONJNGM_91f7034e

As per every good "party hardened" student I'm running so far behind that organised panic is my plan from now until may next year, but if you guys want to get onboard then I'll make sure and keep you all up to date with goings on and that. I did it before for a vehicle restoration that I did and folk found it pretty engaging... for my benefit and for good reading I plan to do the same again!

Until next time and thanks for now,

C Dyson

P.S - If this is deemed inappropriate for whatever reason I apologise, feel free to mail me and I will remedy :)

I don't think theres much mileage in it to be honest Awkwardy, a light for an awkward area , lets face it , you stick it on your head or any other body part , hang it on a hook, there are safety glasses with LEDs stuck on them . Could shove a torch where the sun don't shine and walk backwards I s'pose
default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png

I like the idea,

still thinking of something better though,

but today, when I could see the point my head torch couldnt,

I dont know the solution, chin torches dont work either,

illuminous cheeks?

if we help you come up with a solution do we all get to go on dragons den and get a share?

:)

I would drop this, you have a major problem here and that is, all confined space lighting has been developed, not only for us mere tradesmen but for people like divers, miners, and the police to list a few examples.

I would think outside the box, like what are the main problems with lighting sources that are directional? I would love a light source that is like a flat sheet, that can be used to illuminate an area and not just what I am looking at, it would have to be positioned so that it casts no shadows, the main problem with work lights and torches. Could even be a LED sheet. I am of course just thinking aloud.

Ah ! Greeny , good to see you dipping your toe back in Forum lake , you have been missed. Why not don your one piece bathing suit with the sleeves and plunge back in with all guns blazing ? :Applaud :^O

Brian sends regards :C

Ah ! Greeny , good to see you dipping your toe back in Forum lake , you have been missed. Why not don your one piece bathing suit with the sleeves and plunge back in with all guns blazing ? :Applaud :^O Brian sends regards :C
Well I think the newer members will need time to get used to me first, but believe me reading some posts have all my guns fully loaded.

Just because I post replies does not mean I always wear my mankini. :)

Well I think the newer members will need time to get used to me first, but believe me reading some posts have all my guns fully loaded.Just because I post replies does not mean I always wear my mankini. :)
You're not saying you go comando are you????

That's a scary picture you've got me painting there:O