Submain question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m4tty

Scaredy cat™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Whilst working the other day I saw a submain fed from a switchfuse. The cable used was 16mm 3 core armoured and the switch fuse protecting it was 100a. Length of run to submain was roughly 15m run above suspended ceiling.

Is this ok or should 25mm cable be used. I've looked up ccc for 16mm in osg and it's 87a I think off top of head. But think the swa can handle bit more than this but can't find it in brb. Can someone point me to correct page?

I've only done domesic and not alot of that so am looking to learn as much as possible.

Thanks for any replies.

Cheers

Those figures are for 90C XPLE cable and single phase.

Is the cable XPLE or PVC?

Even if it is XPLE, if the accessories at each end are standard 70C items then treat cable as PVC for purposes of ccc.

Is it single or 3 phase?

Just banged this into the computer for you ,

If its PVC you got to use 25mm if its Thermosetting you could get away with 16mm ( But i would still put 25mm in )

this is For 25mm PVC/PVC

Supply voltage = 230 Volts

Ib - design current = 100 Amps

Protective device type = BS1361

In - protective device rating = 100 Amps

Length of run of cable = 15 metres

Power factor = 1

Cable Type : General purpose PVC ARMOURED - Multicore

Installation Method : Single-core or Multi-core cables Fixed on (clipped direct), or spaced < 0.3 x cable diameter from a wooden or masonary wall

method C

Ambient temp = 30