Swa

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee Sparks

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Couple of questions regarding SWA.

I have been asked to give a quote on supplying a garage at the end of a garden with electrics ( basic power and lights)

I plan to run the cable (6mm 3 core SWA) through ceiling joists and nip down low lvl and clip along or lay cable on surface of flower bed.

My two questions are,

1. Do i have to have low smoke and fume SWA(because partly running in house)

2. Can i run the cable along the flower bed or cliped/cleated along bottom of fence?

Thanks guys.

Lee.

2. Can i run the cable along the flower bed or cliped/cleated along bottom of fence?
Common sense really has gone. what makes you think running a cable along a flower bed, which you can reasonable expect to have work done with a spade etc, will be safe?

And do you use LSF cable everywhere else in a house, because its 'running in a house?'

Agree with Andy, don't leave it laying in the flower bed your asking for trouble.

Clipping to the fence is one of those grey areas .............is it a stable structure? only you can decide that one I'm afraid.

In the past I've put against the fence low posts with the tops cut at 45 degrees, then screwed a board across the posts & clipped the swa to the board. This low post & rail will not be affected by any wind & meant the whole patio & lawn didn't need digging up.

As said above ,  LSF is nonsense for domestic.

As is laying a cable on a flower bed.

And TBH I don't think I'd fancy trying to feed a 6mm X  3 core  SWA through holes in joists .  Nightmare.    Running with the joists would be fine .

Using 6mm .?.. ......   Basic Lights & power ? ..........Expected load  5 - 10 A max ?  ....................... I assume the shed is 20 miles away   :innocent  

I think a few on here would also advise a TT arrangement at the

far end as well as the usual terminations on the SWA.

Have a look at Slips posts on the work he will be doing in a

hole in London.