Tablet Pc For A 6 Year Old?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
iv also purchased 2 of these :) he is a fab seller and he also includes a proper uk 3 pin plug unlike the one that is pictured with a silly adapter :) i made him best offer of £40 also settled on £45 :) they fab little things and fairly fast also!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think so steps, iv not had a proper play on them yet :) will let u know asap,

Steps : Just set up the tablets mentioned above (not the kurios) there are a few apps on it available inc Sky Go, and BBC Iplayer etc, so i would be of the assumptions that you can stream on it! they brilliant little things ideal for kids id say

I got the tablet today.

Initial impressions, it seems to do everything I expected.

However after just 5 minutes use, the charger went bang, complete with a puff of smoke.

So now I'm left waiting for a replacement charger before I can try it out any more.

Just a quick question for people used to these tablets: I tried browsing a few sites including ebay and TEF and all appeared to display just as I expected them to do.

So if they work just on the standard browser, why do people seem to want a dedicated "app" version of sites for mobile use, with all the limitations that imposes?

thanks Mrs S,

may need to get a couple for me and the boy for xmas, ;)

Dave, I dont know why people use the apps either to be honest,

I much prefer the 'proper' site for most websites when Im using my phone.

HELP I've BROKEN IT

The replacement charger arrived today.

I gave it a few minutes charging then started to play with it again. I'm still learning how these things work.

On the "main screen" (wrong terminology, but when it first powers up there are only a few icons on the screen, that's the one I mean) there was a large asterisk looking icon.

I pressed it to see what it did.

The screen turned off.

Not it appears to be running, but with the screen turned off.

If I press and hold the power button it shuts down. As I re start I get the Android icons as it starts up, then the screen goes off.

I can only assume I've turned the screen off accidentally perhaps? But how do I turn it back on when I can't see what I'm doing?

the instruction booklet mentions an hdmi output. But apart from the USB socket, the only other connector is labelled "TF card"

I've tried connecting the usb to my pc. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but the pc doesn't see anything. It searches for an android driver then invites me to insert a disk (which I don't have)

I'm a bit stuck at the moment.

Help please.

TF card I think you'll find is in fact a microSD card slot - an alternative name was/is "Transflash". First off I'd give it a real long charge though you would expect it to work off the mains adapter even if the internal battery is dead. Is there a factory reset button on the unit? Often a pinhole sized orifice somewhere on the unit. I've a drawer full of cheapo MP4 players that have died for one reason or another that I've tried re-flashing the firmware on and given up!

Sounds like uv hit the external monitor button that is usually on the home screen when u 1st boot the tablet up

Connect it to the pc, let it search for driver, then just open it up in my computer instead!

TF card aka Transflash is basically a MicroSD card as onoff mentioned!

To get the screen back on give it a good charge then press and hold the Volume UP button and The Power Button together, this shud reset it this needs to be done whilst connected to the computer! that shud bring the screen back on!

It got worse. It would not even boot up, got stuck on the scrolling "android" screen.

so it's being posted back today for a replacement.

P.S it's somewhat daft having an "external monitor" button, if it does not have an external monitor socket. So when I get the replacement I'll seek help to remove that button from the screen.

p.s the HDMI output is via the Micro USB connector on the tablet!

you can buy MicroUSB to HMDI leads

The tablets themselves are expandable upto 32gb via the TF (micro SD) slot, and unfortunatly there isnt a factory reset orifice on the unit, you gota do it via a pc!

So Step By Step for Dave:

1) Charge it Up

2)Connect it to a PC

3) once its attempted to search for the drivers, go into my computer and open it up via the USB Connection (i.e E: USB)

4) once connected press the power button once to see if the little android man appears (if not go to step 5)

5)Press and Hold Power On and the VOLUME UP button to Reset the unit

6) Re Charge and continue to go about what you was doing on it!

All else fails: send it back to the seller as a faulty unit, it has a 6 month warranty, and also under ebay rules and Sale Of Good Act the unit is unfit for purpose intended and Not As Described in Ebays Terminology

Dave if u want mate, when u get the replacement let us know and ill give u a ring and go thru step by step on the set up of them! got both of the ones i bought set up in minutes music loaded and pictures and apps for the kids and now they ready to be wrapped up for xmas!

Okay a few points re the above.

I connected the USB to the PC. It searched for a driver and couldn't find one asking me then to insert a driver disk which I don't have.

I aborted that then opened Windows Explorer which showed it as two removeable drives E: and F: but trying to access either said "device not ready"

Before I packed it up to send it back, I found by a google search if you press volume up, volume down and power on together, you should get a menu that includes restore to factory settings. I didn't. After the initial android boot up screen, it went to a picure of an android laying on it's back, with it's front open and a big red exclamation mark. I was told that means it's trying to install software that has failed.

so it looks like something has got corrupted?

As for the usb is the hdmi out. Well that's not just a simple cable is it then? surely it's an hdmi video driver with a USB connection, no doubt not a cheap device.

And yes I'll take any advice on setting it up. I want it so there's a good selection of kids games, and so that it's not possible for the kid to brick it by pressing the wrong thing.

By the sounds of it, the android platform somehow is corrupt as you said. There are plenty of games available for it (angry birds fruit ninja etc) are pre installed already

the main app store on it is via Google Play.

As i said once uv got the new one gimme a shout and ill walk u thru setting it up!

once u get the new one ill explain to you how to essentially hide the apps that arent needed (mainly software apps that support the android platform) most of them just simply run in the background

Last edited by a moderator:
OnOff iv felt the quality of the machines linked above! TBH they are worse then the cheapest of cheap tablet pcs, they are renound for bricking.

would not touch one with 10ft Barge Pole!

wouldnt even recommend it to my worst enemy!

Latest posts