Television And Bedrooms

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Technician

Reaction score
These, in my opinion, should never be mixed.

My elderly Mum wanted a television in her bedroom

so I went to collect it with her.

I met a pub landlord who could only watch as his

business went up in smoke on the upper floor.  The

Fire Officer investigating located the origin of the fire

to a morass of wire powering numerous appliances,

probably all Class II with transformers of diverse kinds.

I have a pathological fear of electric appliances being

connected to a source of energy when not required.

It has a remote control and it is a rather small and light

piece of kit but for electrical protection I am considering

the following.

The appliance and other accoutrements are all Class II.

These are the options;

1;  A time switch  (possibly not a good idea) This is control,

not protection.

2   A double socket extension with attached switch close

to her bedside.  (Again, control and I know some of these

are not too clever)

3  Circuit protection is to BS3036 so.....I could fit an RCD

double socket and/or a circuit breaker where the BS 3036

is currently.  I could also de-rate the circuit protection.

I have to check Zs at the socket and Ze is 0.15 ohm.

Does anybody have any other ideas?

Stop worrying? In all seriousness unless she also wants to charge her ipad/iphone/kindle, hair straighteners etc etc it will be fine like the millions of other overloaded extension sockets!

You can get 'standby saver' extension leads that disable all power and can be reactivated remotely, not sure how that fits with your ethos?

I suppose final option is dedicated socket controlled by bedside pull cord.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ecotek-Standby-Saver-6-Way-Socket/dp/B0017PTD3M

I work for a charity & during winter people get cold / heating breaks so we loan 2kw heaters, recently had a customer that borrowed some but never used them a few days later we got a call burning electric smell from fuse box.... a combination of things had contributed to the 16mm cable almost giving way but thankfully it wasn't our heaters and I got there in time as another shower may have finally taken it out.

There are only so many things we can do...

I would use RCD socket/ FCU & 3036 MCB  combination ;) there are also these but they are a bit carp.

Buy her a crystal  set running off an accumulator, A) it will bring back memories of the good old days, B) No leccy too worry about   :B-
:slap

What a damned good idea.

always the option of not paying the bill and getting the leccy cut off
OK...........but energy providers are a bit shy of cutting off elderly and vulnerable persons.

My 7 year old daughter wanted a TV in the bedroom recently. Figured to give her my eldest boys old 14" CRT one from his room that's sat there for probably 5 years unused since we lost him some years back to DS/Playstation/online gaming  :lol:  . 

First thing I did was whip the back off and give it a damn good blast out with air and hoover out! Wife was amazed at the accumulated dust so I of course went on about fire hazards and had a dig ref her housekeeping skills.

Last edited by a moderator:
 Wife was amazed at the accumulated dust so I of course went on about fire hazards
..........Which is one reason why I do not like them in bedrooms with all the fluff flying about.

My Mum has one of those flat screen things.  I was impressed.

My wife asked for a TV in the bedroom. Not overly interested, I showed willing and when I rewired the house I ran in a coax for the aerial.  I didn't get round to (couldn't be bothered) to connect the coax to either the aerial or the coax outlet, this has kept the TV out of the bedroom for nearly 4 years now...

Latest posts