The silence of the Electrical Safety Council ....

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And they don`t know if they have enough "evidence" to prosecute??????

Somebody is DEAD, FFS! How much more evidencial does it need to be?

Bureaucratic, pen-pushing, jobsworth, faceless wonder "regulatory bodies" - don`t make me laugh - its too tragic for laughter :( :(

Prof: The ESC having a "conflict of interest"?? Nah - surely they couldn`t possibly???

The lot of `em make me sick! :coat

absolutley no mention of the saviour of the electrical trade in that article? Part P.

absolutley no mention of the saviour of the electrical trade in that article? Part P.
No its alright, he got his 'mate' to sign it off. Part P works again!

I`m sure that the ESC would have jumped on any Scheme Operator EXCEPT the NICEIC.

This demonstrates that the ESC is NOT fit for purpose and should have it`s license as a safety charity revoked asap.

Like all things it takes time to prosecute and establish blame. How many times have we all had screws through cables from plaster boarding? And who fitted that screw???? So I wouldn't jump down NICEICs neck just yet. Makes you wonder exactly how the MCBs / RCDs didn't trip?

I read the article as the ESC is speaking to the NICEIC but no mention that it was an NICEIC contractor who did the work

We have had nails and screws through cables loads of times, all AFTER it has been insulation resistance tested but before energising, 1st fix completed and tested then the remaining tests done sometimes months later when its all 2nd fixed. Its only since the 17th edition and almost all circuits are Rcd protected it will show up.

Like all things it takes time to prosecute and establish blame. How many times have we all had screws through cables from plaster boarding? And who fitted that screw???? So I wouldn't jump down NICEICs neck just yet. Makes you wonder exactly how the MCBs / RCDs didn't trip?
And that's probably why they are having trouble gathering evidence.

What is to say that the screw wasn't installed after the 2nd fix and testing was carried out? maybe the screw only nicked the line?

But why the RCD didn't trip when the screw got wet I couldn't begin to fathom

And that's probably why they are having trouble gathering evidence.What is to say that the screw wasn't installed after the 2nd fix and testing was carried out? maybe the screw only nicked the line? See my post above

But why the RCD didn't trip when the screw got wet I couldn't begin to fathom
The report said as it was not a ground floor flat and wired to the 16th edition no Rcd was necessary

The screw was in a live cable in a metal partition, done under the 16th, no RCD

The circuit was made live early in the project, then no IR test after, so what did the Cert say?

The person that tested was not Competent under Part P, they were operating the QS system.

Obviously if the QS did not do the tests, or supervise, all they can do is check for spelling mistakes.

The coroner has stated that it is the person that Tests, that is personally responsible for the certificate, so make sure your company has good insurance, or take your own out.

As for prosecutions that is on-going, more likely a private prosecution, especially with a verdict of Unlawful Killing. A Judge and Jury are unlikely to be impressed with a,

The more I read this the more it becomes evident something is not right.

So you employ Electricians who hold all relevant certificates, 17th, testing etc, they do work and test, provide office with results and everyone is happy until something goes wrong.

So the owner of the company is liable, or the operative who has been paid in good faith to do job properly ????

Electrocuted West Bromwich mum Emma Shaw was killed unlawfully, inquest jury rules - Top Stories - News - Birmingham MailWest Bromwich electrocution death: Company bosses defend safety measures - News - Black Country News - News - Birmingham Mail

"Black Country coroner Robin Balmain told the inquest that he would use coroner

briefly just read that and while clearly there were mistakes. to me it reads as though even if it was properly tested the fault would not have been found.

?????

but how was people "aware" of the cable fault?

I think that the main issue here is that the flagrant abuse of the QS system is endangering users of the installation .... yet, strangely, many on here seem to want to direct the discussion in ANY other direction - I wonder why?

Last edited by a moderator: