The Two New Electrical Registers: "electricsafe" & "electrical Safety Register"

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NAPIT have recently spoken out against the Electrical Contractors Association (ECA) and Electrical Safety Council (ESC) following the launch of the ‘Electrical Safety Register’, only days after the launch of the ElectricSafe Register.

The scheme has been denounced by the organisation as an attempt to subvert the general political and industry consensus which – based on concerted processes of debate and consultation – emphasised the need to create a single consumer-facing brand to promote competent persons and raise awareness of electrical safety.

NAPIT has launched ElectricSafe, a new industry-wide brand and voluntary register that is free to join and open to registered electricians from all Competent Person Scheme providers.

Only days later, the Electrical Contractors Association (ECA) and the Electrical Safety Council (ESC, read NICEIC) launched the Electrical Safety Register, a rival register that does not currently allow NAPIT, Benchmark, BESCA, BSI, OFTEC or Stroma members to join.

Prior to this, ElectricSafe had been in a process of development since early 2011. This process was postponed in order to take on board the findings of both the DCLG consultations regarding the future of Part P and the recommendations of the Select Committee on Electrical and Gas Installation and Repairs.

NAPIT Chief Operating Officer, Martin Bruno, commenting on this fiasco, said: “ElectricSafe had been through a long process of development that was closely informed by political debate and consultations involving other scheme providers, industry bodies and electrical contractors.

“It has been designed to create a single, industry wide, consumer-facing brand and register. It is free to join and open to all electricians who have been registered as competent – under any scheme provider.

“The launch of the Electrical Safety Register shortly after – a register which is closed to 6 of the 8 UK Competent Person Registers – has distorted this concept in a clear attempt to monopolise the representation of the UK electrical industry.

“It is very disappointing that, having been initially supportive the concept of a united register, the NICEIC and ECA have decided to act alone. It is also frustrating to see that they have chosen to rule out cooperation with the other 6 organisations which represent the industry.

“ElectricSafe should be seen in the context of a general consensus – developed at the first Electrical Safety Roundtable debate, held back in June – which recognised the need for concerted promotion of competent electricians to the public under a single, easily recognisable brand. The ‘Electrical Safety Register’ has completely disregarded that spirit of cooperation and this can only serve to damage consumer recognition of Competent Persons.”

The ESC have also recently issued a statement in which they refer to the Electrical Safety Register as; “a partnership that is supported by the leading trade body (ECA) and the leading assessment body for electrical contractors (NICEIC)”, continuing “But that doesn’t mean there isn’t room for others. In reality that would mean a commitment from partners to ensure assessments are of a consistent standard with others in the industry.

In addition, committing to the Register shows explicit support for the ESC on electrical safety matters and that would be a major entry requirement too for any other partners.”

However, all 6 of the registration bodies that have been excluded from the register possess the same UKAS accreditations, demonstrating the fact that they meet the requirements for assessing electricians’ ability to comply with Part P of the Building Regulations.

If anything – considering NAPIT’s ongoing commitment to individual competence, compared to the NICEIC model of one competent electrician overseeing multiple contractors – it is not NAPIT who need to reconsider their approach to standards. This statement can only be viewed as an ultimatum to other providers to either bow down to the NICEIC/ESC or be left out of their register.

NAPIT, by contrast, have developed a register that would put the details, not just of NAPIT electricians, but of all Part P registered electricians, at the fingertips of the whole public. The register was, and still is, intended to represent a concerted effort to improve the industry. NAPIT envisage that, in the near future, the ElectricSafe Register will be governed by a board of all major industry representatives, stakeholders and other scheme providers.

We recognise that having rival schemes will only create more confusion and does little to improve consumer recognition of Competent Persons. This is why the ElectricSafe Register has been developed by NAPIT to create a single, consumer-facing point of reference that will simplify the task of searching for and recognising a registered electrician.

So there we are, the dictatorial Electrical Safety Council owners of the NICEIC dictating to Our Trade again, as many NICEIC contactors and Electricians have said to me, they are sick and tired of their arrogant attitude.

ElectricSafe was started around a year ago not for NAPIT but for OUR Trade, the NTA were consulted and we agreed that it was good for Our Trade, as we have been saying that there should be a single brand for advertising , NOT nine different company logos, it is free to all Scheme members.

ElectricSafe/Gasafe it makes sense really, now we have the ECA and the NICEIC getting out of their pram because they want to control everything.

The Brand name should be owned by Our Trade, not the NICEIC.

The above post is crdited to moggie from the NAPIT forum and I think it sums up the feeling towards the launch of Electrical Safety Register. The only people singing its praises are the ECA camp, nobody else. ElectricSafe was a perfectly sound and adequate register but as usual ECA et al think they need to do it their way. Arrogance personified.

Last edited by a moderator:
8 Competent Persons Schemes ,good grief , no wonder the public have no idea what the hell is going on , only thing the Man on the Clapham Omnibus has heard of is the generic term ...Part P

naw, only question I ever get is

'are you registered?'

well, as it happens , I am,

but I dont like to disclose that register too much, :|

most people asking dont even know what they are asking, they have just heard that they need a registered spark, no idea what register they need even.

naw, only question I ever get is

'are you registered?'

well, as it happens , I am,
Well I'm listed on here http://www.electrici...gister.com/ So of course I'm "registered"I'm not a member of a scam provider though, but if someone is just asking are you "registered" then I can answer yes.

EDIT: Link corrected.

Well I have registered an interest with the napit register. Will wait and see. If you do a search all members seem to be napit so will they actually have other scheme members in the search?

I forsee in the near future , all the schemes (all 8 of them)  being melded into one mighty register    .  And it will be  The Electrical Safety Register .  

This has just been formed with ECA, ECS, NICEIC, ELECSA .     According to the ECA they are going out with all guns blazing to promote this.

I think the others will be compelled to join it.    As far as I know there is only one Gas register .  

Also in the pipeline is another qualification requirement  to become a QS . This kicks in ,in 2013 , existing QSs are not affected .  If you've been humming and ahing about joining a scam...  er... scheme  you might want to look at that . 

Back after New Tricks

OK I forgot to come back after "New Tricks"     but I'm here now to see if I can raise some interest in the new "Electrical Safety Register"  

And the " Oh bleedin' hell not another course being forced upon us when we apply to become a QS"    question also.

Well certainly struggling to raise any interest in the proposed Safety Register  yet just had an email from NICEIC that "Thousands are being included on the Register"  . 

Any NAPPITites and the mysterious Stromaites wondering how this leaves them ?   

Or have they gone a bridge too far with yet another body and the rank & file don't give a sheet  ?  

I had the NICEY e-mail today as well..

according to their stats in the e-mail about the electrical safety register.....

• It contains the details of more than 36,000 NICEIC Approved Contractors, NICEIC Domestic Installers, ECA registered members and ELECSA registrants across the UK

• 80% of all Part P contractors in England and Wales are listed on the register

• More than 700 electrical contracting businesses in Scotland and over 350 in Northern ireland are listed

• 92% of notified domestic electrical jobs in the UK will be done by NICEIC/ELECSA contractors

• 9 out of every 10 domestic electrical installations are completed by Electrical Safety Register registered contractors

So 20% of Part P contractors are not NIC/ELECSA..

but they only do 8% of the notified jobs...

does that suggest that persons who specifically look for part P contractors to do certain works do actually select NIC or ELECSA over Napit & others??

After a 2-week wait....

I am finally on the ELectricSafe register as well as the Electrical Safety Register...

If any punters do actually go a searching for an electrician by postcode on either one...

I stand as good a chance as any to get picked!!!!

As the old saying goes...

You got to be init to winit!

:)

NI, for what my opinion is worth, NICEIC is the ONLY one anybody bothers with,

remember though, NO P in NI, so its only specifiers that worry about that, so big big shoots TBH.

I think things may be changing on that front Stepps , I think people do a web search more than the Yells  and they will be directed to contractors on the Register by the look s of it . 

Or I imagine Yellow Pages will, instead of NIC  or NAPPIT boxes , will be doing an Electrical Safety Register box with NICEIC--ELECSA--ECA in it. 

NAPPIT will be doing their version and sooner rather than later they will all merge . 

I foresee BS buying up NAPIT and joining the others TBH.

Mmmmmmmm

This is going to run and run; methinks.......

I`m only showing on one list - haven`t had the call from the "other lot" yet........

Albert: They`ve addressed the "competence" issue - thought everyone had heard - they`ve re-defined the definition of "competence"......

(Seriously!)

Gawd `elp us all

edit: If I do an "electric safe" search - I`m currently getting lots of links to companies selling battery-operated safes     :slap

Latest posts