This months PE magazine and NICEIC connections mag

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting read that Duckie, apparently the EsC has 20 employees however according to the accounts the spent £901,000 on wages last year? A charity eh! 

Here's a snippet of the charitable donation. Didn't we do well with our donations!

Gift aid of £3,258K(2016:£5,295K) has been generated by the Charity's subsidiaries. The Charity's subsidiaries include ESC Partnerships Ltd which is one of two members Certsure of LLP and which generated all the 16/17 gift aid. The other member of Censure LLP  is the Electrical Contractors Association Ltd which is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Electrical Contractors Association, a members association.  

it must be the cost of the TV advert that was made, well it was their first one - how long they been going? What I'd like to know is what station did they put it on to only reach an audience of 10 million?

Electrical safety first was the electrical safety council which (I think) was established in the 1960's around the same time as NICey

I picked this up from @Sidewinder's mates on twitter #e5 or #e5group.

There was some more info on certsure groups pies on there but I couldn't find it.

Sponsoring Luton Town FC ?
Well I don't know about you lot, but, their sponsorship of a Southern bunch of overpaid nonces kicking an inflated pigs bladder around a bit of grass on a Saturday afternoon has not provided me with any more work or an increase in cash flow. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

I would really like to see their justification of such sponsorship.... It would make interesting reading..
They will probably sight 'brand awareness' and 'public image' or some such marketing 💩

EC probably has a Company Box there so she can do a bit of glad handing and provide light relief for the guests in the form of ☕🥞

Probably bnefits the Sparks around Luton.

its a bit like them sponsoring a massive advertising campaign in the Orkneys...nay benefits the Orcadians......there is a village called TWATT there , just saying 

i think our @ProDave knows that village well
There isn't actually a pair of TWATTS 

one in the Shetlands and One in the Orkneys

when we were diving Scapa Flow we went to get a pic of the TWATT sign.......gone! It gets stolen on a regular basis. So,we got a pic of us just stood under the pole that used to have the sign on it

Genuine question. If they are operating as a charity, who are they helping?

According to their timeline NICEIC only became a charity in 1971, http://www.niceic.com/about-us/our-history But then in 2005 the Charity part was renamed as Electrical Safety Council. And NICEIC Group Ltd was formed. So as I read it NIC is actually a business that happens to be owned by a charity?

The Electrical Safety Council bit, and its Electrical Safety First website, is to my understanding mostly aimed at helping Joe public with faulty, dangerous, counterfeit and recalled appliances and products. Plus guidance on DIY electrics, Rental properties and responsibilities between landlords and tenants plus finding contractors. Things like their Best practice free downloads etc.  Which isn't going to be much of a profit making business model from what I can figure?  It has little or no involvement with wiring reg's or fixed wiring problems, or dodgy electrical contractors installation work.  https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/what-we-do/

Much like a lot of large organisations nowadays where there are numerous companies and sub divisions operated as independent business owned by a holding company, (which may not actually do anything). I don't fully grasp how ESC, Certsure, NICEIC, ELECSA etc all interrelate to each other? But I assume it is all perfectly legal for a Charity to own a Ltd company. Is it something a simple as allowing a company to write off revenue from earnings as Charitable donations, thus reducing TAX liabilities? 

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts