This months PE magazine and NICEIC connections mag

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
perhaps one of our newest members @geek84 may be able to shed some light on the matter. Being our resident tax adviser  :Salute

From what I read the ESC is funded by charitable donations from Niccey and Elecsa and the other entities under their umbrella. Now of that you don’t a tax fiddle what is? 

Genuine question. If they are operating as a charity, who are they helping?
They are helping themselves to a free ride on the gravy train

the gravy is constantly replenished by its members fees

its members are not allowed any of the gravy as that would be seen as 'fair' and that would never do

sometimes the gravy is accompanied by pies

soetimes these pies are eaten in expensive hotels adjacent to training venues or exhibition centres

if you are lucky you can watch the gravy and pies being slurped BUT you cannot have any as YOU have paid for it. Earplugs are advised

precisely @kerching Have you not read Animal Farm? 
Yep......started reading it at school .....O,levels 1972!

read I a few times since...but not for a few years now

the closing line is a favourite of mine 

“The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep......started reading it at school .....O,levels 1972!

read I a few times since...but not for a few years now

the closing line is a favourite of mine 

“The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.”

Are we still talking about the PE and Niceic connections magazines here??

we are talking about the 'elite' who exploit others and line their own pockets but tell us it's for our own good . 

Austerity in a nutshell! 

So why do we put up with this ****? 

There has always been dissatisfaction  with the set up .    First you had responsible electrical contractors who , I presume ,  had built up a reputation .  

I imagine the ECA  was formed  first  as a trade body to look after it's members .  (But not the electricians  and not the public) 

The ETU  looked after workers interests ...and I think ...spawned the JIB  for the contracting side .  They in turn began to set the hourly rate , and began a pension scheme  and a grading system .

The NICEIC appeared on the scene  and  secured membership  with local councils , county councils , NHS,  architects etc etc etc  .  all insisting that only member contractors would  be allowed to quote. 

This  forces contractors to enlist .

Then Phart Pee  was mooted which forced even greater membership on the domestic side .  

like  a lot of quangos, the ECA/ NICEIC etc etc seem to have lost they're way. It should represent the views of the trade as well as recommend improvements in standards. EG apart from hating metal boards, I still don't see any need to RCD lighting ccts, it just makes them unreliable and confuses little old ladies. OK someone might knock a nail in a wall and hit a cable, but chances are pretty high they would survive even if they do. Part P is/was half baked, part scope for plumbers and builders should never have been allowed, like wise a full training course should be the only route of entry to the trade (I say this as someone who is guilty of exploiting this loophole). If the NICEIC and other registration bodies were genuinely interested in our opinions, then they would be pushing the agenda to remove 5WW wonder courses, but they aren't! Hence, this year, I have registered with Stroma after over 10 years with NICEIC, for part P and MCS and not full scope AC (or Stroma equivalent) as it saves me over £400. Can't say I like Stroma with their premium phone lines, but then I'm not planning to call them anytime soon.

... Can't say I like Stroma with their premium phone lines, but then I'm not planning to call them anytime soon.
The number I have just looked at on the Stroma site is not premium rate it's an 0845 number which is a local call rate from a fixed line phone.

It's the rip off mobile companies that make them expensive!

Latest posts