To all those PV watchers

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A friend in M107`s neck of the woods had a 4KW system installed a short while back.He is apparently getting an average of 22KW per day on a good day, and 11KW on overcast days - sounds like a good return to me.
On a good day with my 2.35 kW system I get 13kWh, on an average day I get 8kWh. I have only had one day below 3kWh and by co-incidence it was the longest day of the year. I know find myself talking about the amount of sunshine in a day as a scale of 1 to 13.

Hi Binky, I'm sorry that you feel that all the watchers are just taking without the giving. I've been a watcher, I'm new to this, I have the Logic PV qualification, I've signed up with NIC for MCS, I'm doing an "Easy MCS" course tomorrow and the stupid H&S course next week but as I haven't actually installed anything yet I would feel it presumptuous offering any comments.

I hope the doom mongers above are wrong as I've spent a fortune on courses, advertising and leaflets!

It would be a great shame if this section of the forum was to perish as I'm sure that the lack of feed back simply reflects the lack of experience out there. Us small guys are up against the big boys who can afford national advertising and the like and one way we can confront them is by standing together (unless you're on my patch of course, in which case completely different rules apply lol).

I'm optimistic, I think that by getting up to speed now then we are slightly ahead of the customer and as awareness grows then so will demand.

I hope!

Whatever minimal experience I gain I will be happy to share! (Unless you're on my patch . . . . )

Cheers, Mark

I've decided to take the plunge after a spot of watching. I think the number of installations are taking off, seen quite a few around this area, a bit anxious about it all with the start up costs, etc. but hope to start with a few friends and family an so forth to build a portfolio. Lots of useful links in this thread so thanks. Here is one from me on relative performance of panels at Sheffield University. They seem to be compiling a database of some sort... Solar panel data | Sheffield Solar Farm

Only new here (today) but very interested in PV.

Done the course but with no interest from customers it seems that it has been a waste of time and money. One quote in six months and no response from that seems like a poor return for my effort.

A friend has jacked in sparkying for Solar and has ended up subbing for big companies rather than getting the work himself headbang headbang.

In the affleunt south there is still little work for some so how PV is going to work, when there are radio adverts for free installs, is beyond me:good luck:
default_good%20luck.gif

Been looking into having PV installed and i think that the large companies will do the free installations probably for low earners like me. Whereas customers who can afford the outlay of

Hey guys , ive had some experience of installing the sma sunnyboys whilst working for barratts and they seem to work fine and produce a fair return for the home owner despite being a german designed system .

To be honest I think been a German designed system is a plus not a minus,
But that is just your opinion personally since connecting a German refridgeration counter with tills and 13 amp sockets on them and all sockets wired reverse polarity i would not agree with this and the people overseeing the install said this was not a problem.

But that is just your opinion personally since connecting a German refridgeration counter with tills and 13 amp sockets on them and all sockets wired reverse polarity i would not agree with this and the people overseeing the install said this was not a problem.
This is a transfer of standards thing, they don't understand our national standards, trust me I've worked for them, the harmonisation is much greater on the mainland of Europe!

Thus the equipment is more "portable" they need to have our standards explained to them in simple terms as they can't conceive why there are differences as we are also in Europe.

Hi binky.. I made the jump to solar pv about a year back now and must be pushing around a 40 - 60 installs. From 2kw systems to 50kw systems. I subcontract to a mcs company in Scotland and handle most of there installs. I wouldn't say it was easy step to take with my small company but looking back I would still have done it. I handle the electrical install and we get a roofing company to install the pv panels. We stick mostly with sma inverters and I find these to be the best. With the sunnybeam display ( optional add on) and sunny express for Bluetooth enabled computers the interface is endless, with detailed charts for kwh produced per day, week ,month , year I find this hard to beat. I have worked with fronius , power one and del ako inverters but to me I think the sma is the best. As far as tools for start up are concerned it's a bit of a minefield. We currently use on a daily basis mc3 crimper, mc3 insertion tool( sanyo panels) mc4 crimper, mc4 spanners ( sharp panels ) fluke dc current meter, fluke installation tester and fluke multimeter. ( costly). Plus initial start up cost for training on niciec course. But on the other hand I am now carrying out at least four installs a week. I enjoy the work and there is some feel good factor when you walk away from the job every night.. I could keep typing but I will open the floor to comments .. Ps first post.. Go easy ..

Hi binky.. I made the jump to solar pv about a year back now and must be pushing around a 40 - 60 installs. From 2kw systems to 50kw systems. I subcontract to a mcs company in Scotland and handle most of there installs. I wouldn't say it was easy step to take with my small company but looking back I would still have done it. I handle the electrical install and we get a roofing company to install the pv panels. We stick mostly with sma inverters and I find these to be the best. With the sunnybeam display ( optional add on) and sunny express for Bluetooth enabled computers the interface is endless, with detailed charts for kwh produced per day, week ,month , year I find this hard to beat. I have worked with fronius , power one and del ako inverters but to me I think the sma is the best. As far as tools for start up are concerned it's a bit of a minefield. We currently use on a daily basis mc3 crimper, mc3 insertion tool( sanyo panels) mc4 crimper, mc4 spanners ( sharp panels ) fluke dc current meter, fluke installation tester and fluke multimeter. ( costly). Plus initial start up cost for training on niciec course. But on the other hand I am now carrying out at least four installs a week. I enjoy the work and there is some feel good factor when you walk away from the job every night.. I could keep typing but I will open the floor to comments .. Ps first post.. Go easy ..
what is that,?

Ive heard folks talk about it, but never felt the need for one personally, is this to pull the boot over the pin?

never even heard about those... :C