To be or not to be... Employed that is.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26816

Electrical guy.
Reaction score
Hi all, James here. I'm a qualified electrician, have worked in a few different industries, from power stations, national grid sites oil and gas etc etc. All industrial/ commercial installation and more recently maintenance.

I'm kind of wondering where I have gone wrong in life actually, which is what's driven me here. I'll be trawling the threads omand picking a few brains to see why I'm earning squit and see what I can do about it :D.

Good to meet you all.

.................I can not help but wonder, are you going to stay longer than you did last time? :unsure:

I presume you passed your exams with flying colours?

I'm now retired and have worked in many different industries as well as running my own business and working for myself.

Working for someone else is good, no real worries, end of the day switch off and go home, pay packet there at the end of the month. With some companies healthcare etc included.

Working for yourself, worry about money at the end of the month, getting more work, unable to switch off, all the paperwork to do etc etc. You can of course work all hours for nothing. That said, you are in control of your destiny, you make all the decisions, the list goes on.

I had a nice halfway house, long term contract PLC programming in USA for just over a year, great money, nice conditions, no worries about getting paid and they provided me with a Mustang and a suite in the holidays inn along with business class flights for me and my family as required. This was my favourite mode of employment.

Tough call, so many what ifs, one thing for sure if you have an idea, go for it, try it out because if you dont you will wondering how it would have worked out if you'd tried it.

I'm now retired and have worked in many different industries as well as running my own business and working for myself.

Working for someone else is good, no real worries, end of the day switch off and go home, pay packet there at the end of the month. With some companies healthcare etc included.

Working for yourself, worry about money at the end of the month, getting more work, unable to switch off, all the paperwork to do etc etc. You can of course work all hours for nothing. That said, you are in control of your destiny, you make all the decisions, the list goes on.

I had a nice halfway house, long term contract PLC programming in USA for just over a year, great money, nice conditions, no worries about getting paid and they provided me with a Mustang and a suite in the holidays inn along with business class flights for me and my family as required. This was my favourite mode of employment.

Tough call, so many what ifs, one thing for sure if you have an idea, go for it, try it out because if you dont you will wondering how it would have worked out if you'd tried it.
Sounds good to me! I've done a lot of contracting in the past, the money was good but I just couldn't stand working away when the tots came along.

My gig is good right now, close to home, benefits etc, I just wonder whether I could make a lot more money working solo. I just need to find me a niche.

.................I can not help but wonder, are you going to stay longer than you did last time? :unsure:

I presume you passed your exams with flying colours?
Haha, I did wonder whether I would get pulled up on that, I tell you where I went wrong there... Forgot to turn on email replies.

Yep, passed the testing and inspection. Have barely used it since to be honest. But it's opened a few doors SOA good investment all the same.

I’ll tell you the root cause of earning diddly squat- your location, you are in one of if not the poorest paid areas. Unless you are in south Lincolnshire then there’s a few more opportunities.

I’ll tell you the root cause of earning diddly squat- your location, you are in one of if not the poorest paid areas. Unless you are in south Lincolnshire then there’s a few more opportunities.
Hmm. You know, I have never really considered that. Good shout though, I guess I'll close this thread out then and go on being poor :D

Nah, I'm good here for the time being. Don't get me wrong, I'm not on a pittance, just want more. :)

I'm interested in talking to the solar installers on here at some point, see whether there's money to be had doing that. I'll do some reading...

T
Nah, I'm good here for the time being. Don't get me wrong, I'm not on a pittance, just want more. :)

I'm interested in talking to the solar installers on here at some point, see whether there's money to be had doing that. I'll do some reading...
There's money is solar, but to do it properly you need to be MCS registered, and that costs. I reckon it was around £3k per year, plus you need to spend on training courses, and it's a shed load of paperwork.

You say you are earning diddly squat, what sort of numbers are you talking about?

In reality I suspect you are suffering greener grass syndrome, the reality of self employment is working more hours than you are used to, and you might earn more. The upside is being your own boss, and the flexibility that offers. If you want a niche market, I would suggest CCTV and burglar alarms, current economics says crime will rise, and there's sod all police left...

Sorry Binky, missed your post. We're talking between 40 & 50k but I do put the hours in. I was at work today for instance, so I'm used to putting the time in.

Do you install CCTV yourself? I have done a couple of barrow jobs doing it, but thought it was a crowded market to be honest, this was some time ago mind.

You're right about the crime rates etc and more people wanting CCTV and alarms, me for one :D.

I've been self employed for over 23years now...
and it is almost impossible to know if I could have been earning more had I still been employed..
As some aspects of managing your own daily work life are difficult to quantify...

e.g. cash in your pocket from money earned -vs- time spent with your family, doing things you enjoy, creating memories that you can all look back on and laugh about when you all get together during those special family events like holidays, birthdays, christmas's, anniversaries etc..

Before I went self employed I did read some advice that suggested it is better to try and fail.. Rather than to never try at all. As you may still have that nagging thought in the back of your mind, "Could I have run my own business?"

And once anyone has gone self employed it is almost impossible to go back to being employed, as the flexibility to plan your own time is a very big bonus!

But you do need to have sufficient ability for doing the admin & paperwork as well as the design, installing, connecting & testing stuff.

Some people are sh*t-hot at the manual bits, but rubbish at admin & paperwork!..
So you do need to be good at both!!

Most summers I clear off for some time with my family and do naff all work-wise for the bulk of August.. If I was employed this would not be possible.. (my wife works in a local school so is also off for the 6-week holidays)

I just got back from 24 days down in Cornwall in our caravan, (8th to 31st August) during which time four of my children and our five grandchildren also popped down to stay with us for various durations...

Basically I had an awesome time with my family during a heatwave when I didn't earn a penny.. But it was an absolutely priceless time that I could never buy, unless I was able to manage my daily dairy.. and tell people.. sorry NO I am busy till September!!

Cash in your pocket and good employment terms and conditions are a very nice comfort blanket and safety net.. And are very difficult to say goodbye to unless you are pushed..

I was forced into making a jump following take-overs, sell-offs then redundancy..
So I could also claim government financial support, (think it was called "jobseekers" back in those days?).. but it is a bit more of a gamble if you are choosing yourself to jump ship, when you don't know if there is another boat, or the water is shallow enough for you to jump into!!

I wish you well with your choice evaluating what is best for you and your loved ones!

Sorry Binky, missed your post. We're talking between 40 & 50k but I do put the hours in. I was at work today for instance, so I'm used to putting the time in.

Do you install CCTV yourself? I have done a couple of barrow jobs doing it, but thought it was a crowded market to be honest, this was some time ago mind.

You're right about the crime rates etc and more people wanting CCTV and alarms, me for one :D.
I've done a bit of CCTV, it's not hard until you get involved in WiFi bridges, then it turns into more of an IT job.

Given the current economic climate, I would stay in paid employment, it's not a good time to start up a business.

I just got back from 24 days down in Cornwall in our caravan, (8th to 31st August) during which time four of my children and our five grandchildren also popped down to stay with us for various durations...
Should have said, I could have popped down for a beer and a chat. Where abouts in pasty land do you stay?

Latest posts