To Regs & Best Practice ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blob

Reaction score
Hi,
Concerned by this. Does this comply with Regs and is this best practice ?
I expected cable to be run up vertically from below floor once for the left hand 2 boxes, and then back down again, and then vertically up to the 2 right hand boxes and back down again.
This would avoid the horizontal cable run between each “pair” of boxes in a place in the wall I would not expect a cable.

I was always taught power cables run up and down vertically from sub floor wherever possible and to minimise horizontal runs. Also minimise length of cable runs in walls and length of chases in walls.

Attachments

• IMG_2943.jpeg
    IMG_2943.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
horizontal cables are jut as acceptable as vertical ones

your 2 statements are contradictory. minimise cable runs yet take them the long way
I mean minimise cable runs across walls. On the basis anytime cables run across a wall behind plaster there is a risk someone screws or nails into one and kills themselves.

Better to use an extra meter or two of cheap cable to minimise the risk of accidental death.

I was always taught power cables run up and down vertically from sub floor wherever possible and to minimise horizontal runs.

I would be interested to see which reg no's you think require this?

I mean minimise cable runs across walls. On the basis anytime cables run across a wall behind plaster there is a risk someone screws or nails into one and kills themselves.

Better to use an extra meter or two of cheap cable to minimise the risk of accidental death.

If you comply with section 522 both vertical and horizontal runs are acceptable and the appropriate protective devices fitted in the consumer unit will prevent the risk of injury.

Yes I have already seen the ‘safe’ zones. However regs are one thing and doing the right/best thing is different from just ‘it meets regs’.

‘Safe zones’ are not actually safe zones, they are permitted zones.

Regs would allow you to fit a socket at head height and run the cable horizontally all along a 6 meter wall. But good sense would say not to do that when over the following decades umpteen householders could start hanging stuff at that height and screw into such a cable. Good practice would say run the cable vertically or horizontally to the nearest exit point. E.g 0.5m vertically into the ceiling rather than 6m across the favourite place for householders to drill into walls. Having RCD cutouts etc is fine but they are last resort not a reason to do an install with unnecessary risks.

Regs are often just minimum enforceable standards and not best professional practice.

Also isn’t part of the point of conduit to allow cables to be replaced. But by creating an unnecessary gap between three lengths of conduit like that the cables will get plastered into the wall and will be impossible to replace.

Also isn’t part of the point of conduit to allow cables to be replaced. But by creating an unnecessary gap between three lengths of conduit like that the cables will get plastered into the wall and will be impossible to replace.
when conduit / capping was introduced quite a few years ago, I think that was the hope, but it never happened.

If you have a conduit system, run to all accessories with appropriate boxes & access points to allow unsheathed cables to be fed through then yes....

But your work does not have this..
rather it just has a bit of optional capping/oval tube, (which are not compulsory), But are general used to offer the cable a bit of protection from a plasterer's trowel when wet plastering..
I suspect your wall is going to be dot-n-dab plaster boards fixed on the top anyway, with just a final top skim of plaster.

There is no requirement to install PVC T&E with the ability to replace it, as it has such a long working life it is simply not needed!

As a property developer imo i guess it depends on where the cables are.

I wouldn't allow my sparky to run horizontal cables in any other rooms than the kitchen or utility. And even in these areas where possible return below a base unit and back up to the socket.

As a property developer imo i guess it depends on where the cables are.

I wouldn't allow my sparky to run horizontal cables in any other rooms than the kitchen or utility. And even in these areas where possible return below a base unit and back up to the socket.

So how would you feel if I told you you were building your houses wrong?

I'm all for free speech. 😜
Plus I'm not saying it's wrong. I just wouldn't allow it.

Latest posts