To spur or not to spur, that is my question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Firstly, I'm not sure you've read my posts properly...

I have.

secondly, I'm pretty sure this is a DIY section. Therefore no, I'm not a qualified electrician and am looking for guidance that a couple of people have provided. 

My guidance is that you are not competent to perform these works. You don't want to listen to that though and are doing it anyway after selectively only taking the advice that suits your agenda. 

I have.

My guidance is that you are not competent to perform these works. You don't want to listen to that though and are doing it anyway after selectively only taking the advice that suits your agenda. 
I'm seeking the advice to give me a higher level of competence. You have not advised to give me knowledge merely judged my ability or lack thereof and pointed it out. If I believed I had the competence without advice I'd have done it by now without asking.

I'm seeking the advice to give me a higher level of competence.

It takes several years and several thousand pounds to become competent.

Knock yourself out, wire up whatever you want. No matter what I say you will just tell me you know better than I do.

Over and out.

I'm guessing here that it's not a proper hot tub, it sounds to me like one of those nasty blow up things you buy for about 200 quid, like an overgrown paddling pool with a thing you stand in one corner that heats it (eventually) and creates bubbles.

Round here they save the money, let the kids paddling pool warm up with the sun, have beans on toast for lunch and by tea time you're good to go, the waters warmed by the sun, and the beans are just starting to produce gas.

On a more serious note though, I often wonder if people realise how dangerous these units are? The ones I've seen have a fairly short cable on them, now while the unit itself may be safe, an extension lead in close proximity to a large plastic tub of water is never a good idea.

Hi Phil. It's not an inflatable tub. I've had 2 of those and used them all the time and so have now bought an actual full size "proper" hot tub. The majority of modern hot tubs come in a choice of 32A or 13A models. The 32A still require the whole shabang, standalone circuit, isolation switch, etc. The 13A version are put in place and have a cable with a 13A plug on the end. Depending on your needs depends on what you go for so after speaking with the spa shop we opted for a 13A version. 

I believe, the cable is 4m in length.

For the other people who have commented. The issue is sorted and I've been put in contact with a sparky friend of a friend who has had a look and talked me through the best options so thank you for your inputs.