Todays creative thinking needed puzzle.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Fitting smoke and heat alarms to an existing property.

Kitchen needs a combined heat and CO alarm.

Above the kitchen is a bedroom with newly laid solid real hard wood flooring so no chance of lifting floor boards.

Kitchen lights all wired loop at switch so no permanent feed available from the light circuit.

There is however a 13A floor socket (under the bed) in just about the right place to fit the alarm directly below it.

Problem how to feed the alarm from a 13A socket that is part of a 32A ring final?

Can't find a floor mount FCU and it would look a bit silly even if I could.

Don't want to fit an FCU in the ceiling next to the alarm.

I do however find 2 of the mounting holes on a standard Aico alarm base match the pitch of a 1G box.  So if I cut a 1G box into the ceiling the alarm base will screw to it and cover the 1G box.

Puzzle.  How to incorporate a fuse into the 1G ceiling mounted back box?

I thought about in line fuse holders but most tend to be solder connection and not convinced they are suitable.

I have managed to contrive the mounting of a DIN rail fuse holder into the 1G back box.

Can anyone tell me why that is a bad idea or suggest a better idea?

It's a floor socket, so the FCU would be in the floor.  I have not found one that would not be a trip hazard and would not mind being stood on.

if it's for a single point of use (ie the smoke) and the load of said item is less than the current carrying capacity of the cable, which it will be, then it is acceptable to just drop a cable straight to the item, as it will never overload the cable. - It's the argument used for lighting in supermarkets, whereby drop from a 16A lighting cct is wired in 1mm flex to a single light. 

Oher option is 10 year battery wireless detector. As detector should be changed every 10 years anyway, it works out. 

Don't think you can get 10 year battery alarms with wireless link.

This is for the new regs in Scotland that say ALL homes must have hard wired interlinked smoke alarms.  While nobody is going to police it, I am getting a few customers paranoid that if they don't fit them and they have a fire, the insurance might not pay out "because you did not have the mandatory smoke alarms"

Don't think you can get 10 year battery alarms with wireless link.

This is for the new regs in Scotland that say ALL homes must have hard wired interlinked smoke alarms.  While nobody is going to police it, I am getting a few customers paranoid that if they don't fit them and they have a fire, the insurance might not pay out "because you did not have the mandatory smoke alarms"
Speak with Aico PD, the local guy will even come out to see you, and will give you a compliant solution.