Torque screwdrivers

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know it's been said before but I'm going to say it again- Do experienced electricians really need to use a torque screwdriver?

When you think of all the hundreds of electricians terminating tens of thousands of cables every day, how many actually fail due to poor workmanship and would using a torque screwdriver really improve the failure rate. When I tighten a terminal screw I assess how tight to make it by judging the strain on the cable, the device and the terminal. A torque screwdriver can not take any other factors into account apart from the recommended setting. Can this be any better than my many years of experience of tightening thousands of terminal screws?

I know it's been said before but I'm going to say it again- Do experienced electricians really need to use a torque screwdriver?
No!!.....we do not need to use a torque screwdriver!! Period, end of, finished, move on!!!

However, if we do not wish to fall foul of some litigous meber of society who [rightly or wrongly] feels he has been wronged because he has 'a screw loose' and seeks to engage the services of a be-wigged member of our ambulance chasing legal profession then, alas, we have to use a torque screwdriver as an insurance policy to prevent serious financial losses.

Yes, I do have a torque screwdriver [in fact I have about 4 of them]...I do not actually want them , but I have to have them

I also have calibrated 1000V VDE 1/2" torque wrench and all the associated gubbins, dibbits and kimpfs

and yes, I do also have a calibrated torque checker.

I have these because

A) my Family is worth it

B) my peace of mind is worth it

C) my [minimal] bank balance is worth it!!!!

I don't like having to keep buying new Regs Books, I don't need to keep buying them however, for the reasons stated above I have to

Sorry for the rant [ette].....but unfortunately we are stuck with the system that we have

....and remember there is always somebody out there that 'wants a piece of you' [ I know this from bitter first hand experience ]

It's still a joke owning one means you used it on that terminal with the correct setting? Or was it at home that day? Whatever next? Video what we do to prove we did it?

For what it's worth I kind of agree with it, but cost and calibration? More paperwork.

And what next sockets, switches? Great.

50 years ago fuse boards were made so live and neutral had two screws to hold them in place now we have one poxy cross between slotted and pozi and need a

On a slight aside [may have mentioned it before]

These cross/slotted/FlOzzie/FlIllips/ heads were on MCBs over 25 years ago....how come we have only recently had a scewdriver that actually fits them???

Previously we could use slot OR crosshead...this is what the manufacturers designed them for : So ipso-facto , by design/definition A crosshead is as good as a slotted one!!!! But NOW FFS we have to have the correct one AND torque the fricking thing up to-boot

.................. :coat

So you use the torque screwdriver, connections seem a bit loose but its torqued so you leave it.

Few months later fire brigade say cause of fire was at the distribution board possible loose connection.

You say but I torqued all the connections with my

On a slight aside [may have mentioned it before]These cross/slotted/FlOzzie/FlIllips/ heads were on MCBs over 25 years ago....how come we have only recently had a scewdriver that actually fits them???

Previously we could use slot OR crosshead...this is what the manufacturers designed them for : So ipso-facto , by design/definition A crosshead is as good as a slotted one!!!! But NOW FFS we have to have the correct one AND torque the fricking thing up to-boot

.................. :coat
I disagree slightly here , just because they became more available in the UK doesnt mean they werent previously available,

and , still, there are 2 different versions out there, pozi/flat, & philips/flat,

the other thing is, the design of th4e terminals has changed slightly from allowing either/or, to now 'needing' the specific driver,

yes, it is a load of yet more excrement we have to put up with, but hey, why should we worry, we are all being drive out of a trade anyway by all the 5WFW so we dont need to bother doing it right anymore, we will be on the dole soon enough!

"Your reason for being unemployed sir?""Skilled trade no longer required."

"by you, sir?"

"no just by those that think they know best,namely the government."
It just depends on whether or not DCLG is acting with the blessing and knoweldge of it`s minister, Eric PIckles - I suspect that it is NOT. ;)

But it will be,,, anything past the click will be over tightening... Unless you bought some really bad import ones that are innacurate

But then again I used to overtighten some fastenings in my previous employ

Over £100 I paid for mine and what a load of rubbish.

On some boards with 2 - 2.5nm tolerances the driver slips and damages the brass heads.  

Cant wack a good old screwdriver!

dave,

That could be poor and badly fitting bits and screw designs rather than the torque driver.

Please remember that the original "Phillips" head screw was designed to "cam out" on over tightening, that is a definite issue for screws that are approaching the torque limit.

So don't necessarily blame the torque unit, or yourself, check the bits & the screws too!

My torque set is Wera.

The torque handle is ok but I find that the extension arms are very slim and and tend to cause the driver to slip.

No problems with a sturdy pozi/phillips driver.

Just my personal opinion.