Tory Liars... You Need To See This...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that you'll find that they're all liars John...

Milliband is just as bad touting his zero hours contract thingy that would never work in the real world as there is a massive loophole... I.e. keep employees hours irregular and you can keep them on a zero hours contract

Think its called lies, damn lies, and statistics. You can use numbers to prove just about anything especially if people don't understand what they really mean. Unfortunatley the tories are using numbers to slash public spending, which has always been a politcal aim of theirs. now many households, including mine, are dependent on 1 stable income to hold the finances together whilst the business does sits usual feast and famine impression. Without that stability quite frankly I would sack half on my staff to ensure the business survives.

Milliband is just as bad touting his zero hours contract thingy that would never work in the real world as there is a massive loophole... I.e. keep employees hours irregular and you can keep them on a zero hours contract
My biggest problem as an employer is fighting against being undercut on price by outfits that use ZHC. It makes employing people on decent terms and conditions almost impossible. I would be very happy to see ZHC removed from the equation. I'm sure they suite a few sectors and some employees, but then we managed quite happily with casual contracts before. With zhc if an employee has no work for a month, they still can't claim benefits to stop them from being evicted etc etc, it's effectively a ball and chain to the employer who can mess staff around as much as they like - sound a bit like slavery???? It is no encouragement to get off the dole and into a job, a subject much discussed on this forum. I suspect the easy way around this would be a 'limited hours contract' ie only guarantee something like 10 hours a week. My own opinion is that if you aren't committed to your staff, why the hell would they look after your business!

The trouble is, NO government is prepared to do what it takes to run a budget surplus. Instead they keep on raising the tax threshold so fewer and fewer people pay tax and we all pay less tax.

In the 40 ish years since I have taken an interest in politics, I can only remember ONE budget  ONE year where instead of public sector borrowing requirement, there was just for that 1 year, a public sector debt repayment. And that iirc was under Gordon Brown, yes that nasty man that bankrupted the country.

I just can't see how it can go on, but aren't all EU countries except Germany borrowing?  So if EVERYONE is borrowing, just who somewhere in the world is in surplus in order to lend the money to us?

It seems to be an endless merry go round that we can continue borrowing for ever?

We can fret about it, get all excited about it, but it won't change a thing, so best thing is let them all get on with it, look after your own finances and bury your head in the sand.

The banks destroyed the economy, not Brown.

It's called capitalism Dave, the endless persuit of consumption, buying things, working hard to get the money and borrowing to short-cut the process. It is a strange process that seesm to focus money into a few hands at the expense of everyone else. if I were more buisness like, I would have my staff on worse contracts to ensure more money went into my pocket so I could have the big house / boat / BMW etc etc. As it happens I'm trying to run my business on more ethical grounds so we all get paid a resonable amount for what we do, I am quite happy with what i have got! I can't quite imagine an economy where borrowing wasn't necessary to fuel 'progress', we would never have got something like Google maps without big business to finance it, and what a marvellous tool that is! BUT the balance seems wrong at the moment, there's no money to look after the elderly properly, but I'm re-wiring holiday homes with light fittings costing £2k (each) and a kitchen that was over £60k without the appliances....

Notice how no-one ever seems to mention the trade deficit these days, money is still flowing out of the country.....

Tory candidate knocked on my door the other day

Tory:  I am here to gain support for the election

Me:    hahaha,  excellent.  I have always voted Tory, and i would hate Labour to get in.  I am so annoyed at all this kiddy fiddling stuff that i will be voting Green party. I never thought i would vote for the hippies, but at least they dont fiddle / support kiddy fiddlers.

Tory:  Oh

I guess we as individuals think of taking on debt (mortgages) and having a plan to repay them by a certain time (retirement)

A "country" is not planning to retire. So if it never plans to stop having income, then it never needs a plan to clear all it's debt then does it?

I guess we as individuals think of taking on debt (mortgages) and having a plan to repay them by a certain time (retirement)

A "country" is not planning to retire. So if it never plans to stop having income, then it never needs a plan to clear all it's debt then does it?
It might not be planning to retire, but given the state of the youth employment these days, it may have to rely on foreign workforce to bring in the money?

The BBC ran a story last week about 100 or so tory business leaders signing a petition saying that a labour govt would be bad for business.

How is that News? Tories want a Tory Govt. There must be an election coming up.

Saying that, I did disagree with Gordon Brown and Quantitative Easing, why not invest billions into a house building program? or National health? Education, Education, Education.

I too am on  ZHC that normally amounts to about 50 hours a week, but then, in thoery I reap the rewards. Like the other SE on here / small business owners i also don't quite understand my workforce :slap   you want paid holidays...etc etc. i expanded the business becuse i had more work than i could actually do, and i was also starting to realise i'm not as young as i used to be, so bringing on some young-uns seemed like a good idea, which it is. There are plenty of willing young workers in the UK despite what people say. They don't have the skills to be SE, so a mutual contract is arranged, I provide work and training, they get to learn a trade and do the work.

As for quantative easing, it was wasted on the banks. in my opinion they should have been allowed to fail bar 1 state owned bank - but that is simplistic and without a banking system the economy couldn't function. The money should have been lent direcly to buisness, or invested in capital projeccts, like roads, replacing victorian infrastructure, high speed internet for entire country. Even Hitler got that right building the autobahn system for a start, though alteria motives was also at play.

Brown should have spent a bit more on reducing dept, but then it all looked rosy at the time, how little we all knew!

i will be voting labour this time to avoid the chaos of heavy cutting by the Tories, as the Green party put it 'austerity light'. They also plan to borrow to invest in infrastructure - desperately needed, and exactly what turned Singapore into the successful country it is now, and China and Germany.  Then we might have a country to be proud of again.

I wold also dearly like to see the tax system totally reformed away from indirect taxation to straight onto wages - that would save a fortune in admin, aswell as closing of tax loopholes that allows amazon and starbucks to name but a few, paying tax abroad on money made here. It would be good if all those useless footballers did the same!

Latest posts