Transfer switch for solar battery eps

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bhav101

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've got a hybrid inverter which has eps; I haven't wired an eps system before and require some advice. I know an earth rod will be required and neutral earth bonding when in island mode, has anyone done EPS before and advise which manual or automatic transfer switch they have used and also how to achieve the neutral earth bonding? Thanks

Are you trying to feed the entire house, or just a single circuit?

You can buy manual changeover switches for a reasonable price. These need to be fitted in the meter tails if you are wanting to feed entire house. The EPS on the inverter and be used for one or more circuits depending on its rating, ie 3 KW, 5 KW. What you normally do is wire a circuit direct to the EPS outlet on the inverter. That circuit is fed from the inverter, and automatically maintains power in the event if loss of mains.

Are you trying to feed the entire house, or just a single circuit?

You can buy manual changeover switches for a reasonable price. These need to be fitted in the meter tails if you are wanting to feed entire house. The EPS on the inverter and be used for one or more circuits depending on its rating, ie 3 KW, 5 KW. What you normally do is wire a circuit direct to the EPS outlet on the inverter. That circuit is fed from the inverter, and automatically maintains power in the event if loss of mains.
The inverter is connected to a second consumer unit and the eps will feed this board only and is rated for it. Do I do the neutral earth link in the manual changeover switch because the inverter doesn't do it internally?

The inverter is connected to a second consumer unit and the eps will feed this board only and is rated for it. Do I do the neutral earth link in the manual changeover switch because the inverter doesn't do it internally?
I would check what the inverter manual suggests, most don't seem to need this, but...

If you have a look through the threads on here, there's a long discussion about the need, or not, for NE link.