Type of cable to match 6mm SWA?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sharpend so thats an option then, so is that still under regulation and can buy it like that?

I know twin and earh is no good as CPC size is always so much smaller.

The CPC of every cable is sized for that cables' max ampage rating and fault current caused by directly shorting to the cpc under fault conditions. Provided the cable is suitably protected by the correct OCPD, then there is no issue.

Very true binky, however for whatever reason the OP wishes to have all the same, I suspect this is more to do with lack of knowledge as opposed to anything else. 

Sharpend so thats an option then, so is that still under regulation and can buy it like that?

yes, you can buy trunking with 3x 6mm installed. i can supply it for you but it only comes in 1mtr lengths. in the kit you will get 1mtr trunking, 1x joint cover, 3x singles & 3x crimp connectors & heatshrink

Thanks guys for all your input into this. Your correct as I'm just running through project ideas as learning the whole concept here, Hence the trainee forum part. 

And love the fact that this forum has this facility for new trainee sparks to ask all sorts of questions and you guys come forward and answer, ask why and give different ways.

Hope you don't mind if ask more proposed project idea questions in the future.

If you don't ask you don't learn 

So to recap you guys are saying you don't need to run the same size CPC as long as there is adequate over correct protection and it will take the load then no problem

Have you got or seen a copy of the regs book? 
stop that, he's learning.

CPCs don't have to match, I prefer it if they do, but it isn't necessary. You could run 2 core and use the Armour as the earth, if you checkout the equivalent to a cpc fitted in the cable it's far bigger.

Sharpend yes got all the latest book, they don't make easy reading hay. But I know its all in the book. Its as you know is not laid out to make it easy.
BS 7671-2008+A3:2015

Guidance Note 3 Inspection and testing 17th edithion

EIT On Site guide BS 7671

EIT Electricians Guide.

Thats Sharp and Binky keep up the good tuition and banter.

Ok so look up the adebiatic equation for cpc sizing. Run a few examples through and come back with your results. 

And Binks you were wrong!! ;)  

(it was clear by the questioning he is keen to learn!)