Ultimate in recycling!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

For all those who are interested in the condition read

Tony Attwood's book on the subject. It is a good read

and hugely informative.

The NAS (National Autistic Society) have a website (of

course) and there is a questionnaire in the form of;

"tends to the left" and "tends to the right".

The lower the score the less likely it is that you could

be PERCEIVED to be autistic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

Yes, Tony Attwoods book is very good!! Be careful when testing yourself for ASD however, as, the thing is, it is next to impossible to diagnose yourself. I will tell you why.......

The "deficits" that you have as a result of the condition, make it impossible to recognise it in yourself. In fact, you might be interested to learn that a very large number of people that ARE diagnosed, flatly refuse to accept it. Their "deficits" [as i mentioned earlier] prevent them from seeing it in themselves.

I was one of these.... I was first diagnosed by a 66 year old professor of clinical psychology. At first i thought that there must be some mistake, but i used to keep telling myself that, If you built a home made bridge, and a 66 year old professor of structural engineering told you that it was insufficient to carry your ten ton lorry, and would assuredly collapse, collapse it would!!!!

Since then i have been diagnosed over and over, by different Consultant psychiatrists and the like and all with the same results....

I see it like this [self diagnosis] If you were, say schizophrenic, you would not read a book that said; "Liable to think they are Napoleon" and think "Ahhh, i think i am Napoleon, therefore i must be schizophrenic" as a person that is schizoprenic, does not THINK they are Napoleon, they KNOW that are Napoleon. So they would not recognise the problem in themselves if you follow me. So it is with ASD

You might be asking what is th benefit of being diagnosed in the first place...... Well, i will tell you....It enable you to make sense of the disaster that is your life, and explains to you why so many things have gone wrong, that you were unable to understand the reason for. It helps you Sooooooo much also, to realise that you are not the only person in the world like this........ I do not mind telling you, when i found out what the problem was, i was in tears just to realise that i was not alone... I am still so ashamed i cannot tell you. Even my own parents do not know.... They have no idea i have aspergers at all, i have never spoken to them about it. They have no idea what i do all day, or that i attend a day centre or anything....

Finally, can i just say a HUGE HUGE HUGE thank you to ALL the members of this forum that have been so kind to me, and sent me lovely posts, and to be honest, made me feel SOOOOOOOO much less alone and isolated. I count you ALL as my friends, and cannot thank you all enough for all the help and support i have had from you all.

God bless you all....

john...

Apprentice 87; many thanks for your application of

Medieval Syllogistic logic to this subject area.

default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png

Yes, self diagnosis using this NAS method WAS

never and SHOULD never be a diagnosis in any

clinical or psychological sense. It is is only an

indicator at best and taking it seriously is to fall

into a trap.

Hi Technician,What on earth is "Medieval Syllogistic logic" !!! I tried googling it, but could not understand the stuff i found!!! You sure you are not a psychologist yourself!!!!

john..
The term arises in a wonderful book published 1980's and written

by James Burke, called " The day the Universe changed".

His central idea is that the world as we see it and the universe

around it is as it is because we, the human race and those who

investigate it, choose to define phenomena as we wish.

The logic so named turns up as a method of analysis which, as he

illustrates, sometimes works but is sometimes flawed.

Will have more for you next week.

An example might be;

"All whales dive to great depths in distant oceans."

"Whales and men are mammals."

"Men can dive to great depths in distant oceans."