Unusual circuit board. Safe or replace?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katy1980

Reaction score
Hi all

I have just purchased a property investment which has a strange circuit board - doesn't look like a typical residential one - but it's an RCCB nonetheless, so do you think it's OK or I should replace it? Or perhaps just get an EICR done? It is a Merlin Green isobar 4. 

Thanks 

20190121_115310.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That rusty stuff as you call it is on the sheath of the electricity supply cable, you'd have to ring the DNO about that (which I would) their number is 105 and that will get you through to the relevant people, explain that you are concerned about corrosion on the sheath of the supply cable and they'll pop out and take a look. Regarding the board, it's always worth having the electrics checked on a new property, if only for your peace of mind. The board is an older one, most modern ones have either 2 rcd's with the load split between them, that way in the event of a fault, you don't lose all the supply, or individual rcbo's, one per circuit. Having said that, it doesn't mean that it needs to be changed immediately, apart from potential inconvenience if it trips there may be no need to change it at all, yet, only testing will give you the proper answer. Whatever way you go, be sure to get a few quotes for any work done, while the cheapest quote may not be the best, it doesn't follow that the dearest one will be either. possibly post your location and one of the members here may help advise you.

not that unusual a board, but would indicate the last time anyone looked at the elecrics is about 25-30 years ago (or someone pinched a board from industrial works). 

An update is probably worth considering complete with an inspection and test to as stated above.

Good quality board that one. RCBOs are available for it so it would be easy enough to swap the main switch out and have the full lot on individual RCBOs if required.

All dependant upon the results of an EICRas others have mentioned.

Probably the best make of board in the world.........others may think differently but they are wrong!😂

As said before, for your peace of mind get an EICR done

RCBOs are available for this board

....as for someone asking your location I feel that 'location HUDDERSFIELD' is possibly a clue, but I am no forensics expert

just saying

....as for someone asking your location I feel that 'location HUDDERSFIELD' is possibly a clue, but I am no forensics expert

just saying

I am confident that our forum Tech support will be Googling "Huddersfield" overnight, while the search engine is quiet, to see if it does indeed qualify as a "Location". Await Deke's response anytime from 5:45am onward. My gut feeling is you are probably correct in you assumption Kerching.

Doc H. 

Hi all

I have just purchased a property investment which has a strange circuit board - doesn't look like a typical residential one - but it's an RCCB nonetheless, so do you think it's OK or I should replace it? Or perhaps just get an EICR done? It is a Merlin Green isobar 4. 

Thanks 

View attachment 9821

Nothing strange about that board. There is NO such thing as a typical residential circuit board. (it only points out how few domestic properties you have seen). However what you need to look at is the circuit descriptions and the fuse ratings. Which all look pretty normal for any domestic property.  As has been said it could do with (a) a FULL periodic inspection + condition report AND (b) upgrading to RCBO's instead of single RCD / RCCB.

Doc H.

My gut feeling is you are probably correct in you assumption Kerching.
Yes indeed. It is a sad reflection upon our trade and confirmation of the dumbing down of qualifications. I believe that 'looking for the bleedin obvious' is not part of any courses nowadays. There will be a short course running later in the year....the uptake is expected to be high.  Course will be in Huddersfield if anyone can find it

Nothing strange about that board. There is NO such thing as a typical residential circuit board. (it only points out how few domestic properties you have seen). However what you need to look at is the circuit descriptions and the fuse ratings. Which all look pretty normal for any domestic property.  As has been said it could do with (a) a FULL periodic inspection + condition report AND (b) upgrading to RCBO's instead of single RCD / RCCB.

Doc H.

"It only points out how few domestic properties you've seen". An absolutely pointless and patronising comment. I had better return my 17 properties as clearly I don't have a clue what I'm doing....

It is NOT a standard (as in typical style of) residential board. And other electricians have told me so.

Everyone else, thanks for info. Should I sort the corrosion before booking EICR?

P.S. I always get an EICR (otherwise I wouldn't sleep at night!) But wanted to check if worth renewing the board - or if I should just go ahead and get the EICR done. But guessing I should first sort corrosion - then EICR (and judging by comments might be OK to keep the board for a few more years 🤞)

P.S. I always get an EICR (otherwise I wouldn't sleep at night!) But wanted to check if worth renewing the board - or if I should just go ahead and get the EICR done. But guessing I should first sort corrosion - then EICR (and judging by comments might be OK to keep the board for a few more years 🤞)

Just get an EICR carried out... that should then give you an idea of what defects there are that need rectification..

BTW that consumer unit is pretty standard, although not a make typically used for domestic installations as it's was more expensive than the a domestic CU when it was installed

Just get an EICR carried out... that should then give you an idea of what defects there are that need rectification..

BTW that consumer unit is pretty standard, although not a make typically used for domestic installations as it's was more expensive than the a domestic CU when it was installed

Great, thank you. Although the earlier comment (recommending calling 105 about the corrosion - as per the second image I uploaded) has really unnerved me.... I'm worried it is a danger now...

"It only points out how few domestic properties you've seen". An absolutely pointless and patronising comment. I had better return my 17 properties as clearly I don't have a clue what I'm doing....

It is NOT a standard (as in typical style of) residential board. And other electricians have told me so.

Everyone else, thanks for info. Should I sort the corrosion before booking EICR?

That's a bit harsh .............. but its certainly unusual for this type of CU to be used in a residential setting ..............

Re the "corrosion" - you may struggle to get the suppliers or UKPN's attention on this ............... so be warned that the first section of the EICR asks for the inspector to comment on the incoming supply parts BUT these comments have no sway in BS 7671 - so if you get an "unsatisfactory" on the EICR only due to this ............ the inspector won't be able to fix it! which is really absurd ................................ 

Great, thank you. Although the earlier comment (recommending calling 105 about the corrosion - as per the second image I uploaded) has really unnerved me.... I'm worried it is a danger now...
Don't worry too much about the corrosion, just give them a call and let them take it from there, I deal with networks a fair bit and know they keep everything on record(they even know me now when I ring up, lol) once you've reported it and it's been logged there's a record of it should there be any future problems. It's all about arse covering, so long as yours is covered let everyone else worry about covering their own.

there is no such thing as a 'standard' board. the actual layout of devices (RCD main switch and a few MCB's) is very common between many manufacturers and is in use in millions of houses. different manufacturers have different styles of board, but that is purely cosmetic and doesnt affect its functionality. and if your 'electricians' dont understand this, then i suggest you find some who have done more than a basic short course and have actually done some proper work in the real world outside a class room

Latest posts