upstairs telephone sockets not working

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodyalan86

Reaction score
Hi There,

wondering if anyone can help/assist in my problem, we bought a house 1 year ago, and i believe the house is 5-10 years old, quite a modern house, problem is all upstairs phone sockets do not work, no dial tone, router wont work in them, i have taken some pictures in hope someone might have advice.

Attachments

• backroom right 1 .jpg
    backroom right 1 .jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 0
  • backroom right 2 .jpg
    backroom right 2 .jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 0
  • backroom right 3.jpg
    backroom right 3.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 0
  • front room left 1.jpg
    front room left 1.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 0
  • front room left 2.jpg
    front room left 2.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 0
  • front room left 3.jpg
    front room left 3.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 0
  • living room 1.jpg
    living room 1.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 0
  • living room 2.jpg
    living room 2.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 0
  • master 1.jpg
    master 1.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 0
  • master 2.jpg
    master 2.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 0
The master socket doesn't appear to be connected to the others.

have they ever worked?
it does look like the master socket is not connected to the others, also it's on the surface and the rest look like they are flush boxes

who's your phone line with? see it often where al internal wiring is connected to openreach box, but virgin has been added for phones and not conencted to anything other than the master socket (and the master socket doesnt have anything connected other than the feed in anyway)

You need a cable from terminals 2,3 and 5 from the master socket to any of the other sockets.

You have taken 2 pictures of the master socket, or are they 2 different master sockets ?

If you have 2 masters, only one will be working as it means more than likely there has been a line provider switch from bt to cable.

Or as in my case when we first had broadband fitted all extensions had to be disconnected as they reduced the the minimum db that broadband would work at

The 2 wired master socket is all a phone needs to work from BT. The extensions are just piggy backed to each other by the looks but still they will only be using the two wires for a phone. If the line had enough juice (3 phones is about the limit) then all the extensions would ring at the same time. you need a filter between your router and the socket. Try this at the master socket first. Is your master socket even linked to the other extensions?

You need a cable from terminals 2,3 and 5 from the master socket to any of the other sockets.

You have taken 2 pictures of the master socket, or are they 2 different master sockets ?

If you have 2 masters, only one will be working as it means more than likely there has been a line provider switch from bt to cable.
It’s only one master socket, just took multiple pictures however, openreach did replace the old master socket with the one in the picture when I got full max fiber with sky provider

OK then there should be a cable to the slave sockets. They may have "tucked" it away or it's never been there. Be aware I have discovered that alot of the communications wiring in modern houses leaves alot to be desired. Due to running too close to mains and poor connections.

Unless there is a very specific requirement for the sockets your better off using cordless phones.

I don't know the timescales but the whole copper wire network is being phased out. The "repair" for my Virgin landline having a problem last year was to switch us to an internet "line". Works fine.
We've also used DECT phones for many years. They became common just after I had wired our previous house like that of the poster here! Waste of time that was !

Latest posts