Van lighting??

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sellers

Reaction score
The nights are getting darker, so thought I'd get some lighting going on in the van. Then I thought, I have some 12v downlighters knocking around in the back of that thing.

So I thought of 4 down lighters shinning in from above the back doors at an angle pointing in. But then my idea started going downhill.

4x50w = 200w

200/12= 16.6A

How quickly is 16Amps going to flatten my battery??

Also where can i get a decent rated 1gang switch?

and I think I may have to wire it straight to the battery as theres nothing really in the back that can handle 16A.

You could finish work earlier, I try to get home before the street lights come on. HTH

depends on battery capacity. i.e a 70AH battery will last 4.21* hours at 16.6A, but dont forget you still need power to get started again!

you can get twin 8w 12v light fittings. i have 3 in my van, and 1 i converted to LED (after PCB died).

MK grid switches are rated 20A

*well, not strictly ture, since capacity is based on a 20 hour discharge, so it would probably be flat before 4 hours

You've got me thinking now. Could put 5w LED lamps in each downlighter. Just not as good light output

be aware that most 12V LED downlights are AC. it should work on DC since it would only have to be rectified anyway, but still something to be aware of

My BT van has three halogen lights on ceiling I think they are 10 watt and give enough light to see what you are doing. I tend to switch them on only when I am in the back so have never had a problem with flat batteries although I have had an extra battery put on it as it always would not start when it was cold.

Batty

LED Light on yer head.

I always find mooching around in the van in the dark a pain. Wherever the van light is you end up casting a shadow on what you're searching for.

Either that or leave it till the morning. :p

Stick a couple of 12V florry's up......none of the directional issues you get with LED...and won't kill your battery like a downlighter will.

Latest posts