Very interested in a career as an electrician... But need advice...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gigagator

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm not quite sure if this was the right board to start this thread but I'll fire away anyway.

I'm 19 years of age and currently work as a store assistant stacking shelves on night shifts. Basically, I want out and I think it's best if I make a career choice now rather than go on to do more unfulfilling store work.

I've always been greatly interested in electricals and this looked a sure path for me when I was around 15 or 16 but someone persuaded me to go on to sixth form instead, which I see as a big mistake now.

I think I want to train as a general electrician; somebody who can operate domestic, commercial and maybe industrial work, installations, testing and so on. I live in Cardiff, and from the research I've done, apprenticeships are near impossible to find around here but I understand that apprenticeships are the most desired option. I found courses from OLCI which look glamorous and sound great but apparently they're not very well regarded by the trade as a whole, so I'll discount that.

Therefore, I think one of my only remaining options would be college?

Here is a list of courses available at my local college but I have no idea where to begin and what courses I actually need and would be most useful to me. This is where I really need some advice from you guys:

Cardiff and Vale College Electrical Courses

I appreciate any responses.

Many thanks

Welcome to the Forum Gigs. You are right about apprenticships, they are the best way but very few and far between.

So , there are two sides to being a sparks, Theory and Practical , doing the theory is not a problem , sign on at college and start going through the courses, ( There are guys on here who know all the course numbers , I don't ) .

All you can do then is try to get practical experience with someone , and thats the hard bit I'm afraid .

And bear in mind , if you end up with a degree from Oxford University in Elect,Eng B.Sc and PhD You'll still be a crap sparks without the practical , but I wish you luck , this is probably the worst time since the Great Depression to try and get a "proper" training as a sparks.

id say nooooooooooooo dont do it being an electrician isnt all its cracked up to be :slap
I was waiting for the first comment like that!

Seriously though, I'm determined and have my heart set on becoming en electrician. I don't want to be rich, I just want to enjoy what I do and this is something I can enjoy if things work out. I've heard a lot of stories about a very tough market out there and too many sparks, not enough work etc. But I can't just ignore that this is something I really want to do.

I could continue doing what I do now, I make a good full time wage right now doing 4 nights a week on night shifts, but it makes me depressed and unhappy because it's so dead-end and isn't a career.

Thanks for the response Evans Electric, I appreciate that times are tough and finding practical experience will be tough but surely there has to be some positive to what I'm setting out to do!?

Hopefully somebody can post with regards to what courses I need to be looking at from the list from the link. I think I need some reassurance too; a lot of people say 'Don't bother becoming an electrician, no money in it or nobody will employ you' etc. and that worries me a fair bit.

What a great shame you were persuaded to take an education path that didn't suit you. Sometimes I despair of the "target led" system we seem to have now.

I always maintain if you have an interest in what you are doing, that is half the battle.

Start by writing to all the local electrical firms in your area to see if any will take you on as an apprentice or mate.

Don't discount the obvious, the job centre. Just because you are not unemployed does not mean you can't use their services to help you find the right job or training.

Hi Gigs

For all the electricians which have earn their cards the proper way I apologise now for the following!

A couple of years ago I jumped from being an IT manager to becoming a domestic electrician (sole trader). Practical experience was the hardest (although my age and previous practical experience was on my side)

Latest posts