Virus Protection

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lurch, you said something about using Linux would protect your computer, other OSs wouldn't. Why is that?

Why is not using anti virus software, because it may be hacked far fetched?

It used to be that there were no viruses for Macs. Only because no one wrote them.

The majority of hackers who write viruses, do so because they see it as a challenge. When someone brings out some new software, or updates existing software that purports to stop these hackers, they then see it as another challenge and have to hack it.

Anti virus software often detects viruses when there are no viruses. They sometimes see innocent programs and cookies as viruses.

For instance HP one of the biggest hardware producers in the world, has software that is not recognised by Microsoft.

Widows defender sees the software as viruses, and requires an exception to be made before it allows them to work.

As for putting others at risk, could you explain how they would be at risk?

AVG will see cookies as being harmfull.

The 1500+ viruses could well have been no more than cookies.

As for the users not visiting dodgey sites, who knows?

My niece and nephew have used Limewire, that's a very dodgey site. They also use sites that allow instant messaging, very dodgey.

Instant messaging programs such as AIM and MSN are very prone to attack. In fact any program that utilises HTML such as Facebook is prone to attack.

Lurch, you said something about using Linux would protect your computer, other OSs wouldn't. Why is that?
Not exactly what I said, but that's the usual argument of Linux users, 'my OS doesn;t get viruses'. It's not targetted so much because it's not as popular and there are less vulnerabilities.

Why is not using anti virus software, because it may be hacked far fetched?
Because it is, I'm not saying your claims are unfounded, but you are far more likely to contract a virus by not running AV software than you are by having your AV software cracked. I'm trying to think of an analogy but struggling to come up with anything so bizarre.

Anti virus software often detects viruses when there are no viruses. They sometimes see innocent programs and cookies as viruses.For instance HP one of the biggest hardware producers in the world, has software that is not recognised by Microsoft.

Widows defender sees the software as viruses, and requires an exception to be made before it allows them to work.
Not sure what you're getting at here, again, I'd rather be alerted to potential issues rather than be blissfully unaware of loads more. And the examples you picked are isolated incidents, I have not had any problems with any HP software or 1500 false positives on any of my machines, either at home or at work where I support many PC's.

As for putting others at risk, could you explain how they would be at risk?
By your machine being part of a network of infected machines sending out viruses etc...

AVG will see cookies as being harmfull.The 1500+ viruses could well have been no more than cookies.
See point 3.

In fact any program that utilises HTML such as Facebook is prone to attack.
Every website uses HTML.

There is a dangerous virus being passed around electronically, orally, and

By hand. This virus is called Worm-Overload-Recreational-Killer (WORK).

If you receive WORK from any of your colleagues, your boss, or anyone else

Via any means DO NOT TOUCH IT. This virus will wipe out your private life

Completely.

If you should come into contact with WORK put your jacket on and take two

Good friends to the nearest grocery store. Purchase the antidote known as

Work-Isolating-Neutralizer-Extract (WINE) or

Bothersome-Employer-Elimination-Rebooter (BEER). Take the antidote

Repeatedly until WORK has been completely eliminated from your system.

You should forward this warning to 5 friends. If you do not have 5 friends,

you have already been infected and WORK is controlling your life.

You accept that Linux is safer than other OSs, because of it's lack of popularity, but you find that the same argument applied to anti virus software hard to accept.

If you were to download and install for instance AVG, you would soon find your virus vault was full up. These so called viruses would not be viruses. If you were to set your anti virus software to notify you of attacks, you would receive notices virtually every time you opened a site.

If you use a wireless router, you will receive warnings that your router is attempting to attack.

Sorry, I asked how you being infected would be a risk to others, not how you would be at risk from other infected network users.

Yes, all websites do use HTML, as such they are all a risk, some such as Facebook more than others.

Sorry, I'm officially putting you in the barmy group. I can't carry this on any longer. You do it your way, I'll do it the sane and correct way.

Everbody seems to have an opinion, either for or against, a particular brand. Personally I have always used Norton as it's never let me down. I don't like free software such as AVG on the grounds that if it were that good you would charge for it.

I cannot understand why anybody would not use AV & firewall software. They are the sort of people most likely to get hacked into & scammed & then scream the loudest & wonder why everbody else laughs at their stupidity.

Sorry, I'm officially putting you in the barmy group. I can't carry this on any longer. You do it your way, I'll do it the sane and correct way.
I answered someones question, and explained my reasons.

I didn't offer them any advice, or suggest that they copy me.

You then tried to pick holes.

Now you are making insulting comments?

Last edited by a moderator:
Everbody seems to have an opinion, either for or against, a particular brand. Personally I have always used Norton as it's never let me down. I don't like free software such as AVG on the grounds that if it were that good you would charge for it.I cannot understand why anybody would not use AV & firewall software. They are the sort of people most likely to get hacked into & scammed & then scream the loudest & wonder why everbody else laughs at their stupidity.
You don't have to use the free version of AVG, you can purchase the full version.

I have never been hacked into, or scammed, other than when PayPal was hacked into and my credit card details were used fraudulently, along with a number of other peoples details.

I didn't scream, I just contacted my credit card company and got them to refund me and issue a new card.

My having antivirus protection would have made no difference.

I answered someones question, and explained my reasons.I didn't offer them any advice, or suggest that they copy me.

You then tried to pick holes.

Now you are making insulting comments.
Spin - would you please go back and edit your post before a Mod has to?

may be wrong here but if you dont have av and do online banking and you get money stolen, then the bank wont be liable

You don't have to use the free version of AVG, you can purchase the full version.I have never been hacked into, or scammed, other than when PayPal was hacked into and my credit card details were used fraudulently, along with a number of other peoples details.

I didn't scream, I just contacted my credit card company and got them to refund me and issue a new card.

My having antivirus protection would have made no difference.

I can't understand why people make moronic comments on public forums, about subjects that they have little or no knowledge.
My comments were a generalisation not a personal attack on any individual. If you or anyone else chooses to take them personally then you either have a persecution complex or the cap fits & you are wearing it.

In common with a lot of other members I am getting sick & tired of the tone of some posts lately. Maybe certain members should take a long hard look at themselves in the mirror & ask whether their tone might be better suited to other forums. headbang :( X(

My comments were a generalisation not a personal attack on any individual. If you or anyone else chooses to take them personally then you either have a persecution complex or the cap fits & you are wearing it.In common with a lot of other members I am getting sick & tired of the tone of some posts lately. Maybe certain members should take a long hard look at themselves in the mirror & ask whether their tone might be better suited to other forums. headbang :( X(
I know what you mean. I can see Admin putting his foot down. My money is on a 'behave' thread any time now!

:|

Right. Before this thread gets any worse, lets TRY to get it back on topic - in a pleasant manner gents????

I have a couple of issues with comments earlier, but I`m not going to quote anyone, on the grounds that I will not get involved in "*****-slapping" type posts.

I have used, and continue to use AVG free with no ill effects whatsoever. Yes, my machine runs slower when a scan is in progress. I accept this, as the proggy is working hard on my behalf.

I am of the understanding (whether I`m right or wrong - don`t tell me, cos I don`t care!) that a machine which is "net-connected" via broadband is vulnerable to attack; even if the `net connection is not actively active (you know what I mean).

I use windows defender, which may or may not cause issues of its own.

It is my own, personal belief that many of the problems stem from the original "cobbled together" architecture of the humble peecee.

I would request that none of this post is quoted, as I do not wish to become embroiled in any further "heated arguments"

Somewhat annoyed

KME

sadly

we used to be the quietest mods about

hardly any threads needed moderating

hardly any members needed yellow carding

let alone red cards

or the dreaded lifetime ban

as has been noted on another thread recently

the administrators and moderators of this forum WILL NOT stand for such disharmonious posts

you have three choices

behave yourselves

leave

or be removed

it is your forum and your choice

but it is also our forum

please remember if you think a post does not comply with your expectations of this forum . . . report it

i do not guarantee action will be taken

but if you report it we know of it

then are many posts on this forum daily

we do not see them all

you must help to keep your forum tidy

mr smith

please remember if you think a post does not comply with your expectations of this forum . . . report it
May I ask what happens when we report a thread? Does the forum just notify you that something needs attention next time you log on?

Hope you don't mind me asking - I'm just curious!

thank you apache

when you report a post . a number of things happen

any online moderators are notified

any offline moderators are emailed and or texted

if all moderators are offline administrators are notified or emailed or texted

rest assured apache

when anyone reports a post

one of us knows very soon

mr smith

thank you apachewhen you report a post . a number of things happen

any online moderators are notified

any offline moderators are emailed and or texted

if all moderators are offline administrators are notified or emailed or texted

rest assured apache

when anyone reports a post

one of us knows very soon

mr smith
Thank you Mr Smith. Was something I had always wondered. I have, in the past, reported posts.

What Virus protection do you lot use. I got Norton with my computer but have heard a few people saying its rubbish. Ive never had a problem with it but wondered what you guys thought??Thanks
It's an interesting question I worked in IT security for many years and to be honest in my experience many of the products are much of a muchness and choosing between them often comes down to circumstance rather than the technology. If you sign up with an ISP and they bundle a product its probably working using it, but if a free one works for you brilliant.

For me there's a element of personal preference. It's a bit like the what CU do you like to fit question.

There is a lot of hype about computer viruses a lot of it is generated by the AV vendors so we continue to buy their products. Even the word virus is quite extreme.

Its definately worth running an AV product if you go online but almost more importantly if you have data on your computer that you care about make sure you back it up on a regular basis so if you do start getting problems with viruses as others have said you can blow it all away and start again.

My personal choice is mcafee for me its the MK of of the AV world.

:D

It's an interesting question I worked in IT security for many years and to be honest in my experience many of the products are much of a muchness and choosing between them often comes down to circumstance rather than the technology. If you sign up with an ISP and they bundle a product its probably working using it, but if a free one works for you brilliant.For me there's a element of personal preference. It's a bit like the what CU do you like to fit question.

There is a lot of hype about computer viruses a lot of it is generated by the AV vendors so we continue to buy their products. Even the word virus is quite extreme.

Its definately worth running an AV product if you go online but almost more importantly if you have data on your computer that you care about make sure you back it up on a regular basis so if you do start getting problems with viruses as others have said you can blow it all away and start again.

My personal choice is mcafee for me its the MK of of the AV world.

Now being from over the border it would have to be Mcafee.

Latest posts