Visual inspection coding help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually after sleeping on this I see what Andy means - cooker/shower on its own independent circuit is a known load, ergo the cable can either handle it or not. If cable is not overloaded, then MCB / fuse protects against dead short cos that's all you need. Whereas a ring main with half a dozen sockets has far greater potential for overload depending on how many appliances are plugged in at any one time hence cable must be able to withstand full current rating of MCB.

Have to say a cooker I connected recently looked like it was wired in 1.5mm flex as supplied by manufacturer, seemed bloody daft connecting it to 6mm cooker circuit.

Discussed issue with NICEIC man today (I've just passed upgrade to Approved Contractor Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink:D:D:D) - cooker can overload circuit,if thermostat goes faulty so not acceptable. Showers however are limited by thermal cut-out which prevents overload so acceptable for this, but not recommended either way.

(I've just passed upgrade to Approved Contractor Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink:D:D:D)
You slipped that one in there!

Well done

Applaud Smiley

Beer on you tonight?

Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

Well done Binky!!! Nice up here, isn`t it?

IF the stat AND the element had faults, the element could present a lower resistance to the supply; hence overload condition.

I`m still of the opinion that cookers cannot be disregarded under 433.3.1

(sorry) -

Binky - Anything off the "guinness" shelf mate - knock yourself out!!!!!

Well done Binky!!! Nice up here, isn`t it?IF the stat AND the element had faults, the element could present a lower resistance to the supply; hence overload condition.

I`m still of the opinion that cookers cannot be disregarded under 433.3.1

(sorry) -

Binky - Anything off the "guinness" shelf mate - knock yourself out!!!!!
i still dont see how a faulty element could overload. worst case would be a short circuit, in which case the MCB would give the fault protection and disconnect the circuit

i still dont see how a faulty element could overload. worst case would be a short circuit, in which case the MCB would give the fault protection and disconnect the circuit
even on max a thermostat does not allow an element to run at 'max power' to prevent burn-out. So having allowed element to run away with itself it will potentially overload stuff (the scenario presented was more than one element at a time to cuase overload of circuit - unlikely I know)

You slipped that one in there!Well done

Applaud Smiley

Beer on you tonight?

Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink
Cheers guys.

even on max a thermostat does not allow an element to run at 'max power' to prevent burn-out. So having allowed element to run away with itself it will potentially overload stuff (the scenario presented was more than one element at a time to cuase overload of circuit - unlikely I know)
i cant see any logic behind that. a heating element is either on or off, (although the thermostat will switch it on and off to maintain correct temp). so how exactly does removing the stat cause the element to draw more current? if it does get too hot (failed stat not turning it off), ohms law states resistance will increase, so if anything, its going to use less power. and possibly burn out, but that doesnt increase load, other than fault current

Latest posts