VODAFONE

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M107

Billy-the-Kid
Reaction score
Incase people dont yet know.

The Voda mobile network is down due to somebody breaking in & nicking the metal/copper from a main switch building & this apparently has shut the network down.

Incase people dont yet know.The Voda mobile network is down due to somebody breaking in & nicking the metal/copper from a main switch building & this apparently has shut the network down.
Interesting as I am using their 3g atm. Maybe its isolated to your area?

One of their data sites in Basingstoke was ransacked last night, Large areas of the south east & west known to be out of service for voice/sms/data.

An overnight break-in at a Vodafone technical facility caused major disruption, with voice, text and mobile internet services all unavailable.

It was unclear this morning how many people were affected, but the volume of users posting complaints on social networking websites like Twitter indicated that the problems were widespread.

A spokeswoman said: "We had a break-in last night at one of our technical facilities which resulted in damage done to some of our equipment.

"This means that some customers may be experiencing temporary loss of voice, sms and internet services. We are working quickly to restore these and will be back to normal as soon as we can."

The break-in targeted Vodafone's Basingstoke data centre, a major hub for the network, where it would have had routing equipment worth many millions of pounds.

<!-- BEFORE ACI -->Related Articles

• Stolen networking gear is often destined for eastern Europe, via organised crime gangs.

Vodafone reassured customers that the break-in would have no impact on privacy.

Austin Clark, a recruitment consultancy based in Wokingham, Berkshire, was among those annoyed by the outage.

"All of the candidates that I need to speak to re interviews seem to be on Vodafone network which isn't particularly handy, I'll be honest!," said co-owner Stephanie Clark on Twitter.

"It's days like today when you wonder how we ever lived without a mobile phone?"

Another Vodafone user said: "My phone does that looking like it's searching thing and then still says no service. Expecting blood tests results. Damn you #vodafone."

Source: thetelegraph.co.uk

According to the BBC:

Most of the users affected were in the M4 corridor area, to the west of London

Mines been off all day ffs and I rung them at 2 and they promised it will be back on at 4 and think it was but it's still not 100% keeps going on and off. Really annoying but suppose not vodafones fault.

Insider info

You'll have sporadic outages for the next few days along the M4 corridor from swindon to the M25 down into winchester/southampton, up to parts of Oxfordshire.

They think it was a copper theft & a big yellow machine was used to gain entry.

Trouble is with all the metal thefts its going to affect us all that deal in scrap. I hear that dealers are going to be made not to deal in cash anymore it will all be cheques. Not sure how true this is though. Apologies if anybody else has said about it.

Trouble is with all the metal thefts its going to affect us all that deal in scrap. I hear that dealers are going to be made not to deal in cash anymore it will all be cheques. Not sure how true this is though. Apologies if anybody else has said about it.
That'll be handy when the banks bin the use of cheques.

Wasn't just copper but network and computer equip for sale in eastern europe.