Voltage on Sink (longish read)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no it wasnt, it was a load of rubbish,

good mannered debate is in the next forum along,

this is the forum for arguments,

but the forum for fights is 2 doors up if thats the one you are looking for,

oh, and the fluffy wuffy one is across the hall..........

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:31 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:30 ----------

;)

Hello Lee, as this thread is progressing I am losing track of where we are at. Am I right in thinking you have deduced that the RCD is not fully functional. The sink is earthed, (whether it needs this or not is another debate at this point in time), you have done no tests trying to read any voltages while the dishwasher is running. I am thinking would it be sensible to try and measure any leakage current down the CPC from the dishwasher or try plugging the dishwasher through and RCD adapter plug to see if we have a few milliamperes flowing to earth? When doing fault finding of this nature and checking for continuity, it can be helpful to actually note down the actual resistance values rather than just that there was continuity.

I will add that although some members may appear a little blunt with some answers, it can often be just the release valve after they have had a full days work, Then they log on the forum and find someone appears to be missing a very obvious point, that a bit more prior reading of BS7671 or the onsite guide or a bit more experience would have saved any embarrassment. The bottom line is most of our more experienced members are trying to help raise the standards of the industry, not water down the industry where every Tom Dick or Harry is asking every single question no matter what without doing their own checking first. I am sure you understand.?

Doc H.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:48 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:35 ----------

no it wasn't, it was a load of rubbish,good mannered debate is in the next forum along,

this is the forum for arguments,

but the forum for fights is 2 doors up if thats the one you are looking for,

oh, and the fluffy wuffy one is across the hall..........

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:31 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:30 ----------

;)
I am sure Admin has told you 1000 times that it is only argument forum on Wednesdays and Saturdays, Friday it is exaggeration forum. I understood that it is not good to argue on a Friday, it is the end of the week, start of the weekend, you need to de-stress and relax. But you can exaggerate how good the past week has been and what a wonderful weekend you are going to have. Fluffy wuffy? I do hope you have been drinking using words like that?

Doc H.

I try where possible to give constructive advise, however sometimes it is hard to keep a stright face.

Not sure if I have posted on this thread yet but my thoughts are it may be an idea to get a competent person in before the owner gets a fatal shock.

To bring closure to the thread, i went back for a final visit today.Before i hand it over to a more experianced electrician.

Fitted a s/o for dishwasher and put a 13a plug on end of flex from dishwasher.

Done a continuity check on the cable from spur to socket, fine between L & N, nothing between L & E or N & E.

ok, appears the socket has no earth, floating earth.

Now this cable was half way down the wall under worktop, then went buried behind tiles & capping leading to spur.

I decide to chop out a little plaster around where cable disappears behind worktop.

Isolated circuit,disconnect from spur.

What i found... View attachment 3509View attachment 3510

Kitchen fitter, has drilled through the pvc capping, through cable, servering the CPC completly, RCD instantly tripped.

He must have went to reset RCD, its stayed on, plugged something in, still working, great!, he thinks, its still got a L & N, but NO EARTH now.

Dishwasher has a little earth leakage, that isnt a problem when there is a good earth path back, but with no Earth, its sitting at dishwaser caseing. mybe 0.20mA i dunno? not enough to trip RCD.

Someone comes along, touches diswasher with hand, other hand touches on sink, ouch!

I rewired the run, Zs was 0.44ohm, RCD tests, tripped within times.Job jobed.

Happy as a sand boy.

Thanks to all who gave constructive feedback, means a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts