Voltage drop from 240 to 125

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Dixon

Reaction score
Hi. My voltage going into my cooker socket and out of my cooker socket is 240v but on reaching my cooker is only 125v , why ? It also goes to my hob both of which are not working. Help please

It goes to both my hob and cooker. Lots more wire in the hob socket to i assume it feeds the hob first then then the cooker so maybe start there ?

Also would only having 125v stop everything working on my hob and cooking i.e clock and lights on hob ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this an installation which has worked, and now ceased, or is it new ?
How exactly are the supply, hob, and oven interconnected ?
Losing half the supply voltage to high wattage devices like these without sparks/smoke/any signs of distress from wiring or connections suggests misconnection. e.g. they are trying to work in series (?).

Hi. My voltage going into my cooker socket and out of my cooker socket is 240v but on reaching my cooker is only 125v , why ? It also goes to my hob both of which are not working. Help please
Also would only having 125v stop everything working on my hob and cooking i.e clock and lights on hob
Losing half the supply voltage to high wattage devices like these without sparks/smoke/any signs of distress from wiring or connections suggests misconnection. e.g. they are trying to work in series (?).
Its old instalation with no issues in the past

Its an old installation with no previous issues, they are both supplied from the cooker switch .

Using a multimeter live and earth , how do i test a poor neutral ?

A typical DIY multimeter is not an industry recognised suitable tester to verify the presence, or absence, of any mains AC voltages.

If you do not know how to test a poor neutral I am also wondering how you have verified that your earth reference is good?

It is quite possible some of your readings are incorrect due to unsuitable testing methods?

For testing what voltages are present I would use a two-pole voltage tester..
various brands are available, e.g.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/kewtech-kt1780-ac-dc-two-pole-voltage-tester-690v/53370
https://www.screwfix.com/p/di-log-c...-digital-voltage-continuity-tester-690v/738jp
https://www.toolstation.com/tis-851-voltage-continuity-tester-self-proving/p51437
etc..

However I would want to check continuity of all conductors, insulation resistance and the earth loop impedance of the circuit to ensure it is electrical safe, rather than just testing for voltages.

It is probably best to get some professional help to ensure it is all correctly tested.

Using a multimeter live and earth , how do i test a poor neutral ?
You are unfortumately heading towards needing professional test equipment to locate the fault and verify the repair. A multimeter will not do the loop tests which would be a good starting point in finding the fault

Latest posts