W7 Update Crash

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have reinstalled, put AVG on it, set to auto update, and will just leave it running the rest of the day and see what it does.

One annoying thing, how do I get rid of the  .old  files that show up on the boot screen,?  I now have 4 Windows7 to select from on boot, as I didn't format the HDD between each reinstall, I just overwrite the previous version. 

Have reinstalled, put AVG on it, set to auto update, and will just leave it running the rest of the day and see what it does.
Just check on it from time to time, depending on what you have set up it may need some intervention for rebooting/logging in to install the next round etc.

One annoying thing, how do I get rid of the  .old  files that show up on the boot screen,?  I now have 4 Windows7 to select from on boot, as I didn't format the HDD between each reinstall, I just overwrite the previous version.
On what boot screen, GRUB or Windows?

Windows, as usual W7 has overwrite grub, so after the motherboard splash screen I get a black screen asking me which windows I want to select, 

I haven't reinstalled grub yet, will wait until I know windows is sorted first. 

What's the Win key,? 

Is that the one with 4little squares on it,?

Right, u haven't updated, it's now gave me the option to download W10,   :C  is it better, or do I treat it like the plague,? 

Windows 10 is good. Avoid Windows 8 like the plague. Mind you, if you are not overly familiar with Windows OS it would not matter much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the Win key is the one with the Windows logo on it.

It should still do the updates as well as advertise Windows 10. I got 2 Win 10 laptops the other week and they weren't that bad actually after having a play. Unless you specifically need Windows 7 then you could give it a whirl. Personally I would always selected the 'do not keep anything' during the upgrade so it will nuke everything then install a fresh Win 10.

Has it done any updates at all yet? Have you got it set to download and install updates automatically?

Not overly familiar, :slap

I haven't used windows in over 10 years, XP last time I used it, I still have an XP partition on my Ubuntu office pc, but last time it was used was to unlock an iphone3 to use it as an online DAB radio kinda thingie, 

I am COMPLETELY computer THICK,!!!!! :|

Ok, no updates yet,

I am actually downloading an iso ,  is it better to just upgrade on windows,? On Linux I always download and do a fresh install, but as I have nothing on this pc except for an nvidia driver thingie I could do as you suggest and simply upgrade and let it nuke everything. 

Ok, no updates yet,
What have you got Windows updates configured to do?

I am actually downloading an iso ,  is it better to just upgrade on windows,? On Linux I always download and do a fresh install, but as I have nothing on this pc except for an nvidia driver thingie I could do as you suggest and simply upgrade and let it nuke everything.
I've done both, on older versions of Windows I would generally have said ISO every time but the Win 10 updater does seem to do a decent job of doing a fresh install.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea what I have it set to do, 

I have NO idea what I'm doing, :|

Ok, well once it downloads I'll burn an iso, then I'll go back and just let it upgrade itself to W10 on its own, might be better than me trying to burn an iso using windows, I'll put it on a memory stick and burn an image with Ubuntu. 

It's probably worse,

I'm meant to know these things, I'm an electrician after all, some people doubt that tho,,,, 

I'll go look now, if i can find it again,,,

As above, 

I AM COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY COMPUTER THICK,!!!! 

Press Windows key.

Type something relating to what you are looking for, in this case we'll try 'updates'.

Right, am at pc now, it says it updated at 14:13,  3 updates, it also says 227 important updates are available, and 225 updates have been selected, 

Confused,? Me,? 

I'm going to let it upgrade to W10 and see what happens,

Oh, btw, this pc flys, rocketship fast, and I got a (hopefully) slightly better chip than advertised, it's a 4170 as opposed to 4160 that was meant to be in it, 

I don't know how fast windows is usually but it works very usable, it always seems slow compared to Ubuntu anyway, but Ubuntu is unbelievable quick.!!! 

Don't think there should be any problems with trying Windows 10 TBH. I've stuck it on several different spec laptops and it has happily sorted out drivers for all the chipsets/graphics etc.