Warframe On Ubuntu

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnOff

Mad Inventor™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've just rebuilt my nephews pc (he's 40 odd btw) and put Zorin 9 64-bit on it. Basically this is Ubuntu 14.04 with a Windows 7 skin. All looks good and it flies. He's made the transition to Linux so another convert! Connected via HDMI to a dedicated 42" LG screen in his man cave - lucky git!

So all the usual stuff put on for him XBMC, VLC and so on.

BUT.......he likes playing something called "Warframe" on Steam. I've searched high and low and it seems it can be done but a bit of a trek. Currently trying through Playonlinux / WINE etc but it's one problem after another.

Anyone done it?

Cheers

He has a computer up and running and running well at that too all for nowt. But because he can't play Warthingy feels something's "missing". Why a forty something year old has to play these games is beyond me! He can always go on his PS4.  :lol:

As my nephew is trying to get Warframe going under WINE I thought I'd have a go putting it on XP Pro running under VirtualBox on a pc here. Had the "not enough memory" issue with it needing 512MB so I upped that to 640MB. That got rid of that issue. Now the install stops saying that the graphics card isn't compatible. Odd in that it's not the newest card but it is an NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT 512MB DDR2 (with DirectX 10 and OpenGL 2.0 support) with I thought would have been adequate.

The fact that I DIDN'T have to install drivers for Zorin makes me assume that I DO have to install the graphics card drivers in XP Pro under VirtualBox.............not done much with Virtualbox ever tbh!

That's the very graphics card I have,

Even though you don't have to install drivers, you may get better performance out of it if you do install drivers, be very careful though, the driver in Ubuntu that is recommended will shut down the graphics, it doesn't work, :(

But yep, I'd think as it's actually XP then it needs it's own drivers, if you ignore the VB just imagine that xp is native, that's basically how it works.

That's the very graphics card I have,

Even though you don't have to install drivers, you may get better performance out of it if you do install drivers, be very careful though, the driver in Ubuntu that is recommended will shut down the graphics, it doesn't work, :(

But yep, I'd think as it's actually XP then it needs it's own drivers, if you ignore the VB just imagine that xp is native, that's basically how it works.
So open VB, start XP Pro up and install the graphics card drivers in the normal way I would on a native Windows machine?

Weird how the screen resolution running Zorin is pretty much perfect without having to install the drivers. As soon as I fire up VB and start XP then it looks "blocky" - just like a normal Windows install before dicking about with drivers!

Yep, basically that's it, it's as if XP was a normal install, ignore the fact it's in virtual box. 
My other nephew who is an ex HP IT sort reckons I won't be able to install the Nvidea drivers on the VirtualBox install and I'm stuck with whatever it is that is included by Oracle. So far I have to agree with him. The XP install on the VB reads the CD appears to install everything and gets to a point sayings it's finished and to restart. But seemingly none of the Nvidia or DirectX stuff actually installs?

Latest posts