Water bonding issue

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drakey

Reaction score
Hi guys, ive been using this forum for a while as reference so i thought id post my latest query on here.

My parents asked me to update their cu to a new one as they are about to have the TT upgraded to PME, so i had a quick look and their is no water bonding. The mains water pipe is concreted under the kitchen units and the only thing showing is the tap style stop cock, the whole pipe is buried in the concrete (a jack of all trades built the extencion 25yrs ago)

My question is, where do i bond to as 600mm from the incoming cannot be achieved as its concreted in, and tracing the pipes to find the next nearest point involves removing the kitchen units (not an easy job in this kitchen).

Do i suffer it and remove the kitchen 5"to find the nearest point or is their an easier way?

Thanks

Tim

Is the mains water incomer located in the extension, if so whee was it originally? As that's where the original bond may be? Have you got any bond cables present in the CU or at MET?

Where the pipe comes out of concrete to stop cock, does it continue surface mounted to sink etc? If so you are to bond it on the consumer side of the stop cock. Really need more info to establish exact requirements.

Have you done a continuity test Drakey?

It could still be bonded, but the chances are if it is and it was on a TT then it will be 4mm so either way i would do it properly as it will be good experience and the most important thing they are your parents.

Is there any gas or oil at your parents? if so then i would upgrade that as well.

:)

Thanks for the replys,

There is gas bonding in place to the met

The old water feed in before the extension is completly buried under concrete

I didnt have my test kit with me so no continuity test yet. (im going back today)

I cannot see the pipe under the concrete, all that can be seen is the stop cock poking out. By the time there is a surface pipe visable there are 5pipes together running up through the ceiling so i cant tell which is the mains in.

If when i do my continuity test the reading comes out below .05, does that remove the need for bonding?

Thanks guys

I would make sure you get it in somewhere as close as you can mate, the DNO will check to see its in place and if they can't see it they will probably refuse to do the PME

within 600mm or near as practicable - regs are not laws - make a note on EIC in box labled Deviations from Regs or whatever your certs provide.

You can always check continuity at stop cock where it enters property (You should check on pipe not earth clamp!)

Thanks for the advice guys, i think im going to have to dismantle the kitchen and bond to where ever it comes out of the concrete and note it on the EIC.

Unfortunatly Binky, yes it is copper in concrete, the extension was done by my dads mate, jack of all trades, master of none.

Cheers,

Tim

ok plan B, if entire house is copper then cross bond at boiler in 10mm (no using short cut lenghts, must be continuous) - as discussed many times before on this site, this is a viable alternative to avoid destroying flooring, kitchens etc,etc. Test around house to make sure all pipework is connected to MET within permissble limits.

Binky what's the point in cross bonding the boiler when the manifold does this anyway. My pal does this and I think it's pointless but he still carries on doing it nether the less. Old school sparks stuck in his ways :)