Well The Economy Must Be Absolutely Thriving And Rampant.. As Some Are Turning Down Work..

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am very busy also.

I was running at maximum capacity and the projects I have started now have loads of extras. I don't know how I can fit it all in.

I sometimes find little jobs the sweetest.

Tell you what i think... Blue Duck is not far from the mark.....

I would think that so far as "electricians" are concerned, the market is flooded with the 5WW as you all call them. They are ok, [well, they think they are ok] when it comes to fitting a socket, but a rewire is just too much for them. Bit like the garages and so-called motor mechanics now. A mate of mine has a friend who is a car mechanic, properly qualified and all that, and yet he has never, not even in tech, done a crank!!! He had to do one on a tractor he was doing for someone and had to get my mate to help him!!!

That is the trouble with the mechanics now, no aptitude for the job, just plug in the fault code reader and change every possible related part and tell you it was "all of them"

You had a similar thing years ago mind, numpties, that, because they did not know what they were doing, would tell someone, that, it was their battery, alternator AND starter motor all faulty, as they were too stupid to know which one it ACTUALLY was.....

john...
Interesting point ref the qualifications and to my mind whether they mean "less" than they did as in lack of PRACTICAL experience. The college where I took my 2330 (a whole other story vs the 236 I know) had a motor vehicle section and I got talking to one of the college technicians there. The kids HAD always up until then had to do a practical project as in take a car and modify the hell out of it just for the hands on experience - pretty much anything went. Didn't have to be roadworthy so long as it went, stopped and was relatively safe. Proper wacky racers stuff too.There had been a change of policy etc and the practical was being abandoned in favour of more on line and H&S based stuff. The car park behind the MV block was choc full of project cars from Micras to Sierras to old Landys destined for modding. These lads had done their first year, got their car and then been told they had 2 weeks to get rid of them or they would be scrapped.

There was this forlorn looking 2.0S Capri with a Jag V12 lump waiting to go in it along with I think a P-150 axle etc..........The Capris now in my garage!

There is I think a move away from practical skills. My abrasive wheel ticket has just run out and bearing in mind I last did a hands on day course I was told I can now do it on line through Human Focus!

Glad I know how to chop a box in by hand! 

I'm flat out at the moment but never say no or not turn up to a quote. Not turning up to an arranged meeting or turning down work (unless you can give  valid reasoning) in this modern age of internet media is suicidal, One bad comment on face ache is all it takes for word to get around.

So busy I'm even working tomorrow (Mrs 107 said I could.......the job will pay off next years pre-booked holiday) replacing a 7way cu & installing new electrorads in a bungalow.

I am finding customers are becoming more savvey & are getting more than one quote (that's those that are not given my name on recommendation) & on occasion. I've been asked if other quotes/ideas from what are most obviously 5ww's are correct.

Some of the prices I've seen are crazy & the blokes can not be making any sort of profit even if they get the cheapest of materials on offer from Toolstation.

I'm flat out at the moment but never say no or not turn up to a quote. Not turning up to an arranged meeting or turning down work (unless you can give  valid reasoning) in this modern age of internet media is suicidal, One bad comment on face ache is all it takes for word to get around.

So busy I'm even working tomorrow (Mrs 107 said I could.......the job will pay off next years pre-booked holiday) replacing a 7way cu & installing new electrorads in a bungalow.

I am finding customers are becoming more savvey & are getting more than one quote (that's those that are not given my name on recommendation) & on occasion. I've been asked if other quotes/ideas from what are most obviously 5ww's are correct.

Some of the prices I've seen are crazy & the blokes can not be making any sort of profit even if they get the cheapest of materials on offer from Toolstation.
Nothing changes .... if we were too busy we'd get a "cover price"  from one the others who were quoting  ...and submitt a reasonaly higher price .

There has to be trust between you of course ....that may not be the case these days.

Well a flying carpet is a "scissor lift" around here, a boom type machine is a "genie boom", colloquially, obviously.
Yep ..I was only thinking of Scissor lifts TBH ....never used a Genie Boom .

Guinness

:Applaud :Applaud  :Applaud :Applaud    :Applaud :Applaud   :Applaud   :Applaud :Applaud  

Glad to see you boys have ensured the thread doesn't stay on topic too long........

so we are now onto the colloquial names for extendable high working platforms...

and other such devices!!!

:slap

Guinness   Guinness   Guinness   Guinness

Step ladder or step ladder roped onto a pallet on a fork truck.....

:coat

Last edited by a moderator:
Guinness

:Applaud :Applaud  :Applaud :Applaud    :Applaud :Applaud   :Applaud   :Applaud :Applaud  

Glad to see you boys have ensured the thread doesn't stay on topic too long........

so we are now onto the colloquial names for extendable high working platforms...

now, thats just stoopid and downright dangerous,

it should be 2 trestles and a plank, 2 planks if there is another available,,,,,,,

oh, and another plank to work off it,,,,,,,,,,,,

I have a pic i took a couple of years ago...i will try to find it

Petrol station forecourt

National electrical contractors working on the canopy

Access was via a pair of steps stood on the roof of a transit van, with his mate ( one hand on his mobile, texting) holding side of steps with the conviction and strength of a Vicars handshake

Guinness

Anyone think we should have a large , smileyface icon , giving warning of OFF TOPICness.  

Punishment for taking thread OFF TOPIC ....a two day ban ...  removing barnacles from Canoey's canoe.....  doing a weeks work for Stepps FOC  ....death ?  

Latest posts