Well, the kids found it funny.....

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because they can, they know you need them.

The worse were the ones I bought direct from Megger for our 5kV set. Fortunately I wasn’t the first to use them and so didn’t get 2.5kV up my arm.

PS, they are more expensive in the US due to low sales

Under the H&S act 1991  section 2  para 5 .

Power should be switched OFF  & locked before testing for LIVE .

We did some work for the old GPO  before it became BT .....   all ladders should be secured at the top before ascending . .

Under the H&S act 1991  section 2  para 5 .

Power should be switched OFF  & locked before testing for LIVE .

We did some work for the old GPO  before it became BT .....   all ladders should be secured at the top before ascending . .
You jest, but on one job I did, installing a 3 phase cabinet, needed to check voltage and correct phase rotation. The local H&S guy would not allow us to even think about touching a probe to something that may be live, so we had to lock off, open the cabinet, attach the test leads, shut the cabinet (trying not to sever the leads) switch on, take a measurement, switch off and lock of........

You jest, but on one job I did, installing a 3 phase cabinet, needed to check voltage and correct phase rotation. The local H&S guy would not allow us to even think about touching a probe to something that may be live, so we had to lock off, open the cabinet, attach the test leads, shut the cabinet (trying not to sever the leads) switch on, take a measurement, switch off and lock of........

id have asked for his risk assessment of plugging in the kettle

I'd have told him what I was going to do, and if he doesn’t understand that I can do it safely to go and stack shelves in a supermarket because that’s all that he is fit for.

How about pulling 95mm x 4 c  SWA's in , up in the high roofing girders  over a steel works , hooked on with your safety harness  and stomach churning everytime you look down  .   

Better still ,  helping the gaffer  with a through joint  up there when it was still done with two  hot ladles and a pot of solder . :(

H&S guys are a pain in the arse. I had one insisting a wore gloves while lead wiping a PILC-SWA 11kV termination. No chance, you can’t feel the lead as it moves. My mate told him to “****** off unless you want him to throw the lead at you”.

Health-safey.jpg

I have to wear gloves in work now through my own choice. Too many times I've cut my hands open and not noticed until there's blood getting onto the kit.

I've noticed a lot of sparks working with gloves on lately  ...I couldn't be doing with that TBH.

5 point PPE

Glasses

Hat

Boots

Hi vis

Gloves.

Many sites I have worked on have insisted on CUT 3 gloves which before I started this kind of work I never knew existed.

Also have had to wear Kevlar sleeves when working in ceilings.

Don't get me started on ladder permits!!!

:lol:

Prestel was an early subscription dial up information service. It used the same character set as teletext to show crude block graphics as well as text.

I only knew about it as I once had a television that had a prestel terminal built in and a friend when he knew I had it gave me his dad's account and password so I could use it.

About the most useful thing I used it for was looking up what was on tv.

I worked on the Presel offices, computer rooms in the late 70's & early 80's. It was  a BT business run from Baynard House  at Blackfriars London

5 point PPE

Glasses

Hat

Boots

Hi vis

Gloves.

Many sites I have worked on have insisted on CUT 3 gloves which before I started this kind of work I never knew existed.

Also have had to wear Kevlar sleeves when working in ceilings.

Don't get me started on ladder permits!!!

:lol:
Luton airport we had to wear CUT 5 gloves in the main contractors areas. That meant putting on the gloves to cross a corridor, once inside our hoarding it was sub contractors rules.  CUT 5 are like  wearing a wet suit for your hands