what a nightmare!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fulham sparks

Reaction score
had to replace a pull cord switch for a shower and was so awkward to manouver the 10mm2 conductors! took ages! anyone got any tips (if any) on which conductors to terminate first? got it done in the end! ps how much would you standardlyt charge for it? cheers

easier if they are through the ceiling the correct way so you dont have to twist them over each other. and if there is enough room to push them back to get cover on

or use a crabtree shower switch

10mm in pull switches are a nightmare . The answer you'll get on here is to use the Crabtree pull switch , big round jobby .

With the standard ones with moulded box you no option really than to let the cables push back up through the knockout after connecting .

The other thing is to make sure you when you are wiring that you present the two cables with the Brown & Blues opposite each other.

Regarding the charge I don't know what you charge per hour , how far it is , how long it took, does Fulham Sparks mean you are in London , where everything is a million times more expensive than oop north . Only you can really put a price on the job to be honest.

Cheers for your help guys!! really thought it was just me!! will have a look at the crabtree pull switch in a sec, thanks again!

If you dress them nicely you shouldn't have too much of a problem

3271363559_9a192b0d2a.jpg

Wire all future showers with bell wire

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 18:59 ---------- Previous post was made at 18:58 ----------

If you dress them nicely you shouldn't have too much of a problem
3271363559_9a192b0d2a.jpg
Thats ok if you have enough slack, not always the case, not in my limited experience anyhoo headbang

Done one today on a Ground floor flat rewire, Concrete ceilings and cables coming from 50 x 50 trunking. Nowhere for any slack to go. Took about 10 mins of stress but its up ;)

I find that if you bend the cable before terminating then they will give easier when trying to tease back. Also a twisting side to side motion helps things along. Being careful not to catch / chafe the conductors.

Crabtree is the way forward for showers although i did have one break when i tried to tighten up the earth wires and electrifix didn't have any stock so got one from Denmans.

Done one today on a Ground floor flat rewire, Concrete ceilings and cables coming from 50 x 50 trunking. Nowhere for any slack to go. Took about 10 mins of stress but its up ;) I find that if you bend the cable before terminating then they will give easier when trying to tease back. Also a twisting side to side motion helps things along. Being careful not to catch / chafe the conductors.
Barx , I tried the twisting side to side motion as you suggested.......................... and fell off the steps . :C

Barx , I tried the twisting side to side motion as you suggested.......................... and fell off the steps . :C
love it! :slap

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:06 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:01 ----------

The crabtrees are brill BUT, like todays on the GFF, the terminals on the wall side are a nightmare to tighten up as the screws face the wall. You have to do that side up, then screw pull to ceiling then do other side. Nightmare!!. In properties were there is avoid above then they are awsome. Hole either side of a joist / truss. In leg one side, out leg other, then you can screw it perfectly to the joist in the middle ;)

With sound of panic in voice...

What did Hercules have to say about that?

Did you hurt Steps in doing so?

What were you doing on top of Steps anyway.

With sound of doubt in voice...

On second thoughts perhaps we should not ask!!!

;)

Crabtree is the way forward for showers although i did have one break when i tried to tighten up the earth wires and electrifix didn't have any stock so got one from Denmans.
Agreed.. IMHO there is only ONE shower isolator cord pull switch..

The 50A crabtree jobbie...

Crabtree 50A Pullcord Sw + Neon | Screwfix.com

Not only is it easy to connect up...

If you want to do testing at a later stage, dropping the top half of the cover off disconnects the neon out of circuit!

Crabtree = Shower Isolator...

all others are just heavy duty light switches!

No brainer AFAIK!... Guinness