What a shock I got

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
even after testing I always dab the cores down to earth, so if they are still live for whatever reason It'll short out and you'll know its live if it blows.

Did this on another school, similar story to before. Was asked to finnish off running in a cable that was left coiled in the ceiling. I didnt have any tools on me just the ladder, with all things i didnt want to beleive it was dead simply because it was a new circuit freshly half wired. So I decided to push the end of the t+e onto a metal rung of the steps, and sure as. It made a lovely bang and a little black weld in the steps. Can never asume anything in this job

Anyone got a Martindale Voltage Tester & Proving Unit For Sale?

Sparkss , do you still use the device that fires a blade into the cable, from a safe distance ??
we do indeed still spike the cables, only on the 11000V and above though even of we remove the fuse back at the sub ect we still spike the cable just to be safe, only get one chance with HV sometimes you dont even get the chance :| best time we had with the spikeing gun was on a job in lozzels in birmingham we fired the shot on a 11KV fault that we was working on, you can imagin lots of jointers SAPs ect (beacsue you need firearms licance ) we was all standing around pulled the pin... BANG! pulled the next pin for other cable .... BANG!

next thing we know armed response unit and roit vans :_| :_| :_| responding to gunfire ... we had rang them 15mins before we was fireing to let them know to! ROTFWL

they dont half give a nice flash if you anit pulled the right fuse :eek:

Yes we still use Spiking Tools on Power Stations also, it is basicaly part of the safety rules.

we do indeed still spike the cables, only on the 11000V and above though even of we remove the fuse back at the sub ect we still spike the cable just to be safe, only get one chance with HV sometimes you dont even get the chance :| best time we had with the spikeing gun was on a job in lozzels in birmingham we fired the shot on a 11KV fault that we was working on, you can imagin lots of jointers SAPs ect (beacsue you need firearms licance ) we was all standing around pulled the pin... BANG! pulled the next pin for other cable .... BANG! next thing we know armed response unit and roit vans :_| :_| :_| responding to gunfire ... we had rang them 15mins before we was fireing to let them know to! ROTFWL

they dont half give a nice flash if you anit pulled the right fuse :eek:
Not a good idea to be making loud bangs in the Lozells area Sparkss , you were lucky the locals didn't start firing back at you ROTFWL

Not a good idea to be making loud bangs in the Lozells area Sparkss , you were lucky the locals didn't start firing back at you ROTFWL
so so true :p

:^O

Not on distribution, but on Generation. Should realy say that I used to, as now so called retired, but still work on contract.

Was SAP E&M.